The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 09:16 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to all
Default Czech Nymphing Works...

I headed out yesterday for some R & D. We have a new Czech Nymph Leader. This was our best testing session with this leader yet.

Our Czech Leader consists of an 18" Sighter that is Hi-Vis Orange with black stripes or Chartreuse with Black Stripes. The stripes on the sighter allows you to see slight movement in the sighter meaning that a fish is tugging on your fly. Then we attach 30"-36" of 20 lb. braided line with a tippet ring. The 20 lb. braid is very thin allowing it to cut the water column (sink extremely fast) this gets your fly's into the face of fish hanging out down deep.

The fly fisher is to attach tippet to the ring. Depending on fishing regulations of your state, you can fish multiple fly's off of this set-up. The sighter is to be treated with floatant. Either our leader floatant or our otter butter works great. Only purchase this leader if you are familiar with Czech Nymphing as this is not a leader that makes casting / presenation easier as our typical leaders do. This leader is for the popular way of fishing called "High Sticking". This leader puts your sinking fly's in the face of big bottom hugging fish.

The rod used was an Allen 10'-0" 4wt. Loads of fun....
Click the image to open in full size.

The bull-troat was my fishing buddies fist Bull.... Not the biggest bull ever, but is was a Bull....
Typically I am more of a dry fly guy, but I am slowly becoming a big fan of this style of Nymphing. Loads if fun.
okbow68, mcnerney, madjoni and 8 others like this.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 01-16-2014, 09:36 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Czech Nymphing Works...

Very nice!
Old 01-16-2014, 09:41 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Good deal Mike, nice fishes! I agree that the CZN/tight line/high stick method of nymphing can be a lot of fun compared to the long drift indi style. It's an active method and makes me feel like I am actually fishing.

Do you have a pic of the leader?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:49 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

I have to get me one of those! I fish using that method a LOT!
Old 01-16-2014, 10:34 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Good deal Mike, nice fishes! I agree that the CZN/tight line/high stick method of nymphing can be a lot of fun compared to the long drift indi style. It's an active method and makes me feel like I am actually fishing.

Do you have a pic of the leader?

The image is not a great one....
The system I used yesterday was this. 24" of flouro 5x to first fly. Then second fly was attached to a stiff piece (4" 2x tied so it sticks off the main line tippet like a "T" then tie on a few inchs of 5x tippet & fly) This keeps the second nymph free of the main line. Takes time to setup, but works great. The last fly was about 24" below the knot of the second fly. The last fly was the heaviest. I know some nymph fisherman make the middle fly the heaviest. I switch back and forth. I have not made a final decision on which works best for ME.

mcnerney and mridenour like this.

Mike
Old 01-16-2014, 10:36 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Wish I would have ordered one in time for this weekend! Looks perfect for what I like to do.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:44 AM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

If anyone in Denver is interested, Steve Parrott is doing a Czech Nymphing presentation at the Sportman's expo today at 3:30 and again tonight at 5:30. I am interested to ask him about using this style in the winter when the trout are pooled up and not in the fast moving water.
mridenour likes this.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:33 AM

eastfly66 will become famous soon enougheastfly66 will become famous soon enough

Hi Mike,

That's a "must have" for me ! How about a Promo Deal ? say a package like a hat and the leader together ? I have a question on the leaders with rings , in the event I breakoff/cut a leader at the ring, is it possible to just tie another on ?
Old 01-17-2014, 07:54 AM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of

Wow, Mike, great looking fish ! Looks like R & D went well ! Most guys would love to have a job that " makes " them go out and fish
Nice to see you grow and expand the product line. The image and description of the leader was good enough to show it well and to make it desirable. Sounds like you found another winner .
Old 01-17-2014, 07:58 AM
Business Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
Hi Mike,

That's a "must have" for me ! How about a Promo Deal ? say a package like a hat and the leader together ? I have a question on the leaders with rings , in the event I breakoff/cut a leader at the ring, is it possible to just tie another on ?
Hello Eastfly...

If a leader does break at the ring, you most certainly can tie tippet on with a double surgeons knot. I know of many fly fishers that simply do not like the ring so they tie 4x tippet on when the leader arrives and then step their tippet down to 5x or 6x. That is on a dry fly leader. Our nymphing leaders are much heavier (stronger) they can handle much stronger tippet. Email me directly about the hat / leader question.

mike@cutthroatleader.com
eastfly66 likes this.

Mike