The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 12:52 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough
Default Why skimp on alignment markers?

Got my Mystic Reaper 5wt the other day that my father picked up for my birthday. Haven't cast it yet, but it looks a lot nicer in person than in the pics, the blank really looks nice, almost iridescent in the light.

But, no alignment markers. Why no alignment markers? Why do manufactures skimp on this, what does it save them, 2 maybe 3 cents a unit?
bloomagoo likes this.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:05 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why skimp on alignment markers?

I cant say for the manufactures, but I have 2 rods with alignment marks on them and I have thought about having them removed. Just something about them bugs me to no end. Its to the point where its actually something I check to see if they aren't there.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-17-2014, 01:07 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Same here. I don't like them.

To me it's easier and more accurate to align the guides by eyeball.

The problem is that the marks are both too close together and too far apart.
If they were farther apart, you'd have a longer baseline. If they were close enough (right on the end of the ferrule) that you could make them touch, that might also work.

Last edited by plecain; 01-17-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:10 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

Don't really like they either. I too just eyeball the alignment. Some folks like them a lot but as I've had the eyeball habit for so long I don't use the dots on the rods that have them.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:45 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Alignment dots are fine with me, some of my rods have them and on those that do, I use them. But I double check it against the fully rigged rods alignment.
Personally, of all the things on a rod that could possibly bother me, they are way down on the list.
Donít get me started on the ornate and garish company and series logos that trash up the butt sections on some rod blanks. That and some of the length and line designation graphics on todayís rods can viewed with the naked eye from Neptune.

TT
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:32 PM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

I very much prefer having the alignment dots. I am also like the hand written logo and rod description compared to the stickers....like Scott does vs the Sage stickers.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:43 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

I think they are invaluable on a four piece rod. Not sure why they wouldn't have them or why they would be considered a nuisance.

That said, my new Redington is missing the alignment dot on the butt section for no apparent reason. The only section of the rod with no guides, and they forgot the damn dot
fly_guy12955 and bloomagoo like this.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:40 PM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonism View Post
I think they are invaluable on a four piece rod. Not sure why they wouldn't have them or why they would be considered a nuisance.

That said, my new Redington is missing the alignment dot on the butt section for no apparent reason. The only section of the rod with no guides, and they forgot the damn dot
Invaluable? Is it really that hard to just look at the rod with the guides down and see if they line up? Maybe the dots are useful, but invaluable?

And I think they're ugly.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I've been eyeballing the guides for so long that even the new rods that have them..... I still just look down the guides. The first rod I got that had them was a 15' Winston, I guess they are helpful on those rods but like some others have said, I still eye it before I tamp them tight.

I guess it's a love them or hate them thing, I don't really mind them and the ones on the new Hardy rods are tiny so you really don't notice them anyway.
jaybo41 and williamhj like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-17-2014, 07:02 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Dots... No dots... Doesn't matter to me... I can just as easily look down my rod and tell if they are aligned... 4 pc rods... Just assemble and line up 2 at a time... Top two... Then bottom two... And last but not least put them together and eye them up again... Remember... This is fly fishing not BASSMasters... be patient and enjoy the outdoors