The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 10:31 AM

markm will become famous soon enoughmarkm will become famous soon enough
Default Fly tying room paint color

My wife is giving me permission to turn our spare bedroom into a fly tying room. I need to strip some old wallpaper trim and then repaint. Whats a good color to paint to help with fly tying? Im thinking a gloss white? I want the room as bright as possible or do I?

Mark
Old 01-19-2014, 11:01 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fly tying room paint color

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm View Post
... Im thinking a gloss white? ...
Not if you want her approval in the future!
Find an off white flat paint, open the window coverings and buy a couple of good lamps. "Swiss Coffee" is a good choice that is premixed at HD.

**Edit. gloss is too shiny and distracting for indoor walls IMHO, look at flat, eggshell or satin.
mcnerney, fredaevans and pm287 like this.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:04 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Here's a thought ....paint the wall behind your tying table sage green, at the top of the wall at the ceiling do a horizontal stripe 10" wide and divide the stripe using the "golden mean", use nowegian blue and vesuvian red to divide the stripe with paint. Paint the remaining walls and the ceiling off white.

The wall will give your eyes and mind a place to wander in between #24's. lol.

Of course...ymmv.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:41 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

A flat paint will not produce glare like gloss does. Stay with a light color, like eggshell, bamboo, or a very pale blue or green.
Then ask your wife to help you pick a narrow decorative wallpaper border. Something depicting fish, fishing, or an outdoor scene to put an "accent strip " on the wall to break up all the white. She may be flattered that you asked for her opinion, and that never hurts.
Good lighting is very important. I have a floor lamp with 2 fixtures. One points up to provide indirect light reflecting from the ceiling, and the other can be aimed right on to the bench. I also have a little battery powered light next to the vise.
Enjoy setting up your " man cave " !
Old 01-19-2014, 12:25 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Gloss anything will allow you to note every minor imperfection in your drywall finishers work.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:12 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

I think we need to revoke some man-cards.

Just sayin.............
Old 01-19-2014, 04:30 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Ok, fly tying REALTOR here... Because I get paid for my opinion, there will me no revoking of any man points!!

Darwin had it right! Go with an eggshell finish for the walls and semi-gloss for the trim. It will reflect the light well and clean easily without showing too many imperfections. A good, safe color scheme would be an off white with white trim. It will give you a good enough backdrop to your flies to allow a reasonable amount of contrast. It will also match anything you put in the room. Not to mention... If your wife likes it, she may let you make a few other decisions around the house!

What might be more important is the color of your desk. Some large sheets of construction paper laid under and/or behind the area where you are tying will allow you to adjust contrast depending on the color of your fly.

Good lighting is important too. You may want to consider hanging a florescent light over your desk. They make florescent bulbs that produce a color of light that is very close to natural. They cost 2 to 3 times what normal florescent bulbs cost. It will be worth it though.

For a lamp, a friend of mine bought a magnifying lamp with a really long arm and great light at Office Depot. I'm sure folks here can make specific recommendations on a particular light if you need one.

Todd

--Irish Blessing
Old 01-19-2014, 04:36 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I'm partial to eggshell white walls in the cave, with stained wood trim. Makes the clutter really "pop".

Click the image to open in full size.

Gary
Old 01-19-2014, 04:44 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Grey is always a nice relaxing color... I painted the walls of my living room a green that I really enjoy... My living room is also my "fly tying room"
Old 01-19-2014, 05:00 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

I would stay away from flat. It is nigh impossible to clean. Even dirty fingerprints more or less need to be touched up with paint. I would vote for satin, it has a very low sheen but its still cleanable. I would get something like this for one wall Rocks, Ripples and Reflections And do like a light mocha everywhere else.
mcnerney likes this.