The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 05:54 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future
Default Drying Boots ?

In the summer, I can set my wading boots out on the deck, and a little while later, bring them in all nice and dry.
However, throughout most of the winter, it is well below freezing all day.
I currently invert my boots on a little rack in the spare bathroom, in the shower, and just let them slowly dry naturally.
I'm looking for a better way. My house has electric ceiling heat, and so, no ducts or heat vents to help the process along. Ideas , hints or suggestions ?
And no, I can't just move someplace where it doesn't get cold
Old 01-26-2014, 05:58 PM

pm287 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Drying Boots ?

I have heater inserts made to dry boots. Use them on all of my sporting shoes, hunting, skiing, and fishing.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:21 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

This might work...

Cabela's Boot and Wader Dryer by Peet® : Cabela's
fredaevans and siege like this.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:30 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Boot dryers work very dry from inside out low Dempsey.

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
Boot dryers work very dry from inside out low Dempsey.
Damn auto correct : temp
Old 01-26-2014, 06:30 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

Stuff them full of old news papers or flyers. The new print paper draws the moisture out quickly.
itchmesir and shotgunfly like this.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 01-26-2014, 07:36 PM

earthtrek is on a distinguished road

I'll second the Peet's boot dryer. I have the full-size and travel version. Keeps the boots smelling fresh. I tried the newspaper technique, but it never did dry the boots out well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
siege likes this.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:41 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I used to obsess about drying my boots. Then I realized, they stay in the garage. Aren't they meant for water?

I mean, I'm putting on dry wader/booties when I put on the boots, what do I care if the boots are wet?

If you store them inside, I can understand why you'd want them to be dry.

In the summer they dry outside in the air, in the winter the garage gets as cold as 40 or so degrees…so no mold is growing.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 01-26-2014, 07:45 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfordcreek View Post
That looks like the way to go, so far. Great price, too !
Thanks for posting it.
waterfordcreek likes this.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:48 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

I got the PEETs as a present and I use them for all my shoes and boots-ski, wading, hunting, and even hiking boots that are wet. The boots are dry by morning.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:41 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
I used to obsess about drying my boots. Then I realized, they stay in the garage. Aren't they meant for water?

I mean, I'm putting on dry wader/booties when I put on the boots, what do I care if the boots are wet?

If you store them inside, I can understand why you'd want them to be dry.

In the summer they dry outside in the air, in the winter the garage gets as cold as 40 or so degrees…so no mold is growing.
Kind of with SGF here. I don't pay a lick of attention to 'wet boots.' Dry boots are a pain in the butt to put on over dry neo-wader socks. First thing I do at the beach is take the things out of the back of the jeep and dunk then in water to help get them on.

Extended below freezing temps do call for a different 'Plan A.'