The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 12:30 PM

doug 12992 is on a distinguished road
Default scott s4 or sage vxp?

I'm looking for for a new 9ft 5wt and was wondering how the s4 compared to the vxp , since the s4 isn't made anymore I can't try it out at a local fly shop. I already have a vxp 7wt and love the rod.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:29 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: scott s4 or sage vxp?

It's been a while since I cast the S4 but I've cast it side by side with a Sage (at the time I was casting it against the Z-Axis and ZXL) and went went with the Sage. I also have a VXP 7 weight - the 7100. I've fished the VXP 590-4 and I enjoyed the rod quite a bit - it was between the Z-Axis and ZXL in action. In my opinion, if you like the VXP 7 weight, you'll like the 5 weight. I make this statement only because I own the 7 I mentioned and fished the 5 weight and liked it quite a bit. I think you'll find the S4 faster than the VXP.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:57 PM

doug 12992 is on a distinguished road

So you'd take the sage over the scott? The only reason I'm asking is that I can buy a s4 for $450 with a ross CLA which to me seems like a good deal. I just didn't want to regret my decision.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:57 PM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

I don't know much about the Sage VXP, other than it is more of their second tier rod. If they were equivalent prices, I would personally go with the S4. Especially if it is new and you still get a warranty. I love my S4.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:53 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug 12992 View Post
So you'd take the sage over the scott? The only reason I'm asking is that I can buy a s4 for $450 with a ross CLA which to me seems like a good deal. I just didn't want to regret my decision.
Would I? Yes. That's because I cast the S4 and didn't like it. It's hard to beat a deal for $450 that includes a reel, but if you don't like the rod, then it's hardly worth it. Only you know whether you like the feel of a S4 and if you can't cast it but you think the package is worth a shot, then give it a shot. Me, I'd buy the VXP because I like the VXP more than the Scott.

If you don't like it after you buy it you can always try and sell it to recoup most of your outlay.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:47 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
Would I? Yes. That's because I cast the S4 and didn't like it. It's hard to beat a deal for $450 that includes a reel, but if you don't like the rod, then it's hardly worth it. Only you know whether you like the feel of a S4 and if you can't cast it but you think the package is worth a shot, then give it a shot. Me, I'd buy the VXP because I like the VXP more than the Scott.

If you don't like it after you buy it you can always try and sell it to recoup most of your outlay.
This is a great point, and one I've lived. I never had cast the older 3 piece Sage TXL. Saw one for sale that was such a good price I thought buy it, if I dont like it sell it.

Turns out I liked it and have since bought more. You can always buy retail but used for a good option leaves you an out.

If I am being brutally honest , the differences in the upper end rods like this are pretty limited IMHO. I bet if you buy that Scott and go use it more than twice, you will get used to it and end up liking it.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson