The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 01:58 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What Do You Consider A "Trophy" Sized Trout?

I was reading another thread today and came across a comment about releasing all "Trophy" sized trout and wondered what the rest of you fellow fly anglers out there consider a "trophy" trout to be.

Here in the west, in and around some of the more famous trout streams, i.e: Henry's Fork, South Fork Snake and the Madison, the 20-inch mark seems to be commonly held as a "trophy". But I think a lot of this definition has to do with where you are and what type of fish you catch. I still consider a 20-inch fish to be a trophy in the waters I fish - what about you?

Click the image to open in full size.

Tell us and show us some of your "Trophy" trout.

Kelly.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:36 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What Do You Consider A "Trophy" Sized Trout?

Depends on where I am fishing. For example those little creeks I oh so love, a "trophy" fish might be in the 10"-14". On that other river I fish with all the browns that average 17"-20"; I consider a "trophy" fish 24+ inches. So basically what I am saying, is that for me a "trophy" size fish depends on what the average size fish are in the system I am fishing.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with Sasha...my trophy trout is not the biggest I've caught.I'll try to take a pic...from an old paperpicto show it to you.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

While like many other anglers appreciate any fish I can find, I figure trout & char over 2 feet to be a rare catch and have held that as my mark. Salmon differ by specie; King, anything over 40 lb is pretty nice fish; Silvers, I caught one a little over 23 pounds a couple years ago and that was a beauty. Most sockeye and chum / pink salmon are pretty similar depending on the watershed, some run big but I have never caught any that seemed inordinately huge.

Trout & Char, 2 foot = big

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
While like many other anglers appreciate any fish I can find, I figure trout & char over 2 feet to be a rare catch and have held that as my mark. Salmon differ by specie; King, anything over 40 lb is pretty nice fish; Silvers, I caught one a little over 23 pounds a couple years ago and that was a beauty. Most sockeye and chum / pink salmon are pretty similar depending on the watershed, some run big but I have never caught any that seemed inordinately huge.

Trout & Char, 2 foot = big
Ard: Oh yes that huge Silver from a couple years ago (I remember that beast well), that was a true trophy!

Mostly, I think any tout over 20" is a very nice trophy, but like Sasha pointed out it really depends on the water. On those small creeks anything above average is a good trophy.

Larry
Old 08-03-2010, 04:31 PM

gbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nice

On the small streams around Durango, where I live, my biggest was a 16" rainbow so that's a trophy given the usual 8" to 12" fish.

When I travel I catch lots of 14" to 17" fish so guess anything 20" or better would be a trophy.

Sorry, no pictures; my wife is still trying to figure out how to get our South Fork pictures off her cell phone.

Headed back to the South Fork next week and am going to fish the Hoback, Gros Ventre and Greys rivers for the first time.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:06 PM

boreal is on a distinguished road

I'd settle for anything I couldn't lob behind me on the backcast accidentally
"I knew a tier once. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch." ~ cwg
Old 08-03-2010, 08:57 PM

gbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nice

good one boreal! I have done that a couple of times bass fishing............
Old 08-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreal View Post
I'd settle for anything I couldn't lob behind me on the backcast accidentally

That's a good one Bud, you brought a huge smile across my face with that.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-04-2010, 09:24 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto, boreal! I'm still laughing

I tend to agree with Sasha in most cases. We fish a spring creek that produces consistent 20-inch browns, so our "trophy" standard is 24-inches. We also fish a high desert spring creek that only produces 'native' rainbows and brookies and I feel that anything we catch over 8-inches to be a 'trophy'. At the same time, these fish are some of the most colorful I've ever seen, anywhere.

Here is an example of one 'trophy' we caught and released:
Amazing the color and the spots on such a small fish - a true trophy.

kelly.