The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 06:21 AM

tsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nice
Default Colorado for spring break

We are going back to Colorado for spring break and wondering what to expect fishing wise.

We fished the Thompson over the summer one day but wanted to hear from you guys about what the fishing is like mid March.

We got ine day up at estes lodge so it'll be nice to have a couple of days of fishing without worrying about driving back to denver.

Like always.....the help is greatly appreciated

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2014, 08:01 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Colorado for spring break

Are you looking to fish the Big Thompson below lake Estes again ?

If so March is actually a really good time right before run off. You will be able to fish anything from Stone Fly patterns all the way down to size 22 JuJuBee midges. By that time most all the ice should be pushed back opening alot of water.

I did really well last spring in the stretch of water 2-4 miles below Lake Estes Dam with little midges.

Sz 20 RS2
sz 22 Jujubee Midge
Size 18 Rainbow Warrior and Blue Poison Tung

You might even see some BWO activity
Old 01-31-2014, 08:34 AM

tsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nice

I was thinking of doing the same thing. Just drive up towards estes and pull over anywhere.

Thanks for the fly advice.

Ive got the 4wt so no more fishing for trout on a 6wt;now I just need the flies you mentioned.

Excuse the ignorance but what is BWO?

Also....I think im gonna wanna check out the platte to see about some carp.

Any advice?

I stayed in Westminster over the summer and from the looks of it....It seems like fairly easy access to wet my line

Old 01-31-2014, 08:36 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsubeta04 View Post
I was thinking of doing the same thing. Just drive up towards estes and pull over anywhere.

Thanks for the fly advice.

Ive got the 4wt so no more fishing for trout on a 6wt;now I just need the flies you mentioned.

Excuse the ignorance but what is BWO?

Also....I think im gonna wanna check out the platte to see about some carp.

Any advice?

I stayed in Westminster over the summer and from the looks of it....It seems like fairly easy access to wet my line

BWO = Blue Wing Olives,

You will see some small hatches that time of year.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:10 PM

gotmilk is on a distinguished road

If you've never fished the South Boulder Creek tailwater, that's an option worth considering. Check on the flows before you go. If the flow is really low, it will lock up with ice.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:09 AM

Thanks fellas,

Im hoping for any other practicle advice you guys may have. Tips on gear? Or anything that will make the trip better.

We will be taking our waders for the cold water as well as all the other typical gear we use here in Texas.

Thanks!

Old 02-14-2014, 10:10 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

I fished it once but in the summer, so I can't be of much help on the fishing.

Here's one tip i can give: When you see signs that say "Watch out for elk in the city limits of Estes Park," they really do mean "Watch out for elk in the city limits of Estes Park!" Especially the ones that like to stand in the left lane.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:16 PM

Jajajajajaja

Watch out for elk......got it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2014, 08:48 PM

goblueco1 will become famous soon enough

Since the flooding through Estes the Big T tail water section has changed SO much it is almost indescribable. Not only is there significantly more fish-able structure the fish population (according to G&F) has also increased. Moreover, it has turned into one of my favorite fisheries for the winter. The previous advice of BWO, RS2, Jujubee Midge, Rainbow Warrior and Blue Poison Tung is good but I would also try throwing purple San Juan's as well as purple Jujebeatis patterns as the fish, for whatever reason, absolutely LOVE purple.

I have also done well on the following (#18-22):
- Jujubee (tan or black)
- Micro Midge (black)
- Rojo Midge (red)
- 2bit Hooker (any color)
- Leach pattern streamers (tan, black, tan & black)

I actually fished the river today and never took off a #20 2-bit hooker (black) as lead and #20 Jujuebeatis (purple). Was on the water at 815am fished until about 330pm and landed about 30 trout.

Good luck and you should be hitting river during an absolutely prime time!
mcnerney and tsubeta04 like this.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:08 PM

illinibone is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know if US 34 between Loveland and Estes Park is open again? I know 36 is open but have not heard about 34. Thanks.