The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 12:44 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lanyards

So hear you RT. I never cease to be amazed at all the 'junk' fishermen think they need to carry with them. Marketing/Advertising seems to work .....
Old 02-02-2014, 02:46 PM

markm will become famous soon enoughmarkm will become famous soon enough

I wanted to ditch my vest as it was heavy and was contributing to my back pain issues. I went to a lanyard with a small pack on my wading belt. I also use a waist pack that I put my lunch, extra fly boxes, leaders, ect.... I put that on tbe bank with my extra rod and I fish with just the lanyard and small pack. It has worked great.

Mark
Old 02-02-2014, 04:39 PM

TroutEd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
My son braided one from paracord and gave it to me for Christmas. It's beautifully made, and attaches to the wader straps in front. It does not go all the way around your neck, so it's less likely to choke you. I'm looking forward to trying it out. It has a tippet spool holder, hemos, nippers, a small fly box, and a wine bottle cork on a short cord, to dry flies on.
I'm interested in other's experiences as well.
That sounds nice. Pic?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2014, 08:32 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm View Post
I wanted to ditch my vest as it was heavy and was contributing to my back pain issues. I went to a lanyard with a small pack on my wading belt. I also use a waist pack that I put my lunch, extra fly boxes, leaders, ect.... I put that on tbe bank with my extra rod and I fish with just the lanyard and small pack. It has worked great.

Mark
Hear you Mark. The second rigged rod I understand, beyond that if you can't stick the few extra bits in your pockets you've lost sight of what going on here.

fae
Old 02-03-2014, 08:41 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I've pretty much gone to a lanyard completely, saltwater fishing aside. It just made sense instead of moving everything from a vest all the time. If I'm going to be out all day or a few days or far away, I take the vest, too to store fly boxes and such.

I bougth a cheap lanyard made of beads and workboot laces...then I modified it further. All in all, I have $15 in it and it works great.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:13 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

My son also made one for me out of paracord with loops to hang from the wader straps. Then he made a separate neck strap with loops. I connect one end with loop to loop and use a 2 pound mini s-biner to connect the other side. (The s-biner will break before the lanyard chokes me)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2014, 02:28 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

For those that wear/use them: I do a lot of hands and knees stuff. Lanyards look to me like they'd be getting caught in the brush and like they'd be noisy. ?
fly_guy12955 and jsturniolo like this.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:45 PM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

I tried one once, trying to be a minimalist. I just got terrible anxiety trying to only pick a few things to bring with me. I get a warm fuzzy feeling having a **** load of gear with me in a vest or back pack. I guess I am mentally ill.
fly_guy12955 and jsturniolo like this.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:05 PM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

I have never really thought about the whole choking thing, I guess that is why they have safety break aways. I pretty much always have my lanyard on and have been using one for years. I recently got one from this guy:

Nature Boy Designs

he has some cool ideas for shorter ones for on your belt too. I got the wader version with an optional neck strap that is removable. Didn't like the tippet bar. I always have my tippet connected to my waiste pack, the boat or my pocket.

On my lanyard I have the following: Dry Fly Dressing, Nippers, a "Ty-Rite Jr. for Small Flies" that I use to hold my second nymph while I am tying on the first, and an alligator clip that I put puddy and an extra split shot in.

I need to find something that works better for this...anyone have any ideas? The clip seems to lose the putty a lot just do to its nature, and the little plastic containers that it comes in or split shot comes in, flop open and everything falls out.

This has happened to me a good bit, so I stopped putting them on my lanyard and keep them in my wader pocket or my waste pack.

Last edited by gretch6364; 02-03-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:08 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

Click the image to open in full size.

Floatant (powder and gel), Wonder Cloth, tippet, forceps, nipper, a couple fly boxes, "used" fly box/dryer. Watch is just to time hatches for next day. Extra boxes, if needed, go in shirt pocket. I don't carry very many flies, just the ones I'll use. They're all dry, so no other stuff for the leader.

I only carry a vest on long journeys/walks, or specialized waters where I have no idea what I "might" need.