The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 12:22 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default For all you Polar Vortex, Cabin Fever sufferers

Whats your plans this spring? Lets talk about your big trip you have planned. Is it your local stream/lake or across the world?

I moved to Wisconsin 2 1/2 years ago from Oregon. These winters are driving me insane! The first time in the past 30 years Ive had to go more than 3 weeks without casting a flyrod. I wish I could just go to sleep and wake up after the thaw!
I have been spending the open water months chasing warmwater species, but this spring I have my eye on trout. I plan to hit the road and explore this state this spring.

Whats your plans??
Old 02-02-2014, 01:03 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For all you Polar Vortex, Cabin Fever sufferers

Just remember that all that snow will be water for the trout streams come spring. Lets hope for a slow spring thaw so the ground water aquifers get refilled.

I'll be tying at the Badger Fly Fishers Spring Opener next Saturday. Drop by if you are in the area.

Badger Fly Fishers

Event : Badger Fly Fishers Spring Opener : 77-square
jbird likes this.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Over the past ten years I have become adjusted to not being able to fish during winter. In my previous life I could fish spring creeks all year long but then I seldom went if the day was not going to see 32* or better. I went fishing yesterday with a fellow I met off or the Spey Pages forum. When I picked him up in Anchorage it was dark and 9*, I was not very excited about fishing. I did however drive the additional 115 miles to reach the Kenai River below its confluence with the Russian River. By the time we rigged rods the day had warmed to 24* but the ice that inevitably formed in the line guides made casting difficult.

We fished until 4:00 PM and gave it an honest effort. frankly I was surprised that we did not catch even one trout. It was, regardless of the cold air, nice to get out on the water. This is the first I've been out since my birthday on November 8, that day it was 17* here in the Valley so yesterday was actually better all things considered.

Plans for the coming season? I will be exploring many new areas this year. They will be on familiar rivers and streams but I will have a new means for reaching the areas that have been out of bounds for me all these years. The exploration alone will be great, if I happen to catch a fish or 2 while I'm out there that will be even better.

Remember, when you go fishing that as long as you don't fall into the water and get wet, it's a good day.
mcnerney and jbird like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-02-2014, 02:00 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of

I am already " blue lineing ", looking up all I can find about fishing some of the blue lines on the map. We are finding interesting places near home that we have never fished before. Tried a couple of new spots last year that worked out well.
jbird likes this.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:35 PM

Location: Port Washington, WI (fish areas around grafton and plymouth)
pikefisher69 has a spectacular aura aboutpikefisher69 has a spectacular aura about

I'm planning on doing a lot of fishing at the Milwaukee River, which is fairly close to my house. Trying out a retention pond really close to my house, to see if there even is anything alive in there. To catch a carp, and a pike on the fly. To do more trout fishing. And finally, to become a guru on one of the rivers I mainly fish. As you can see, I have a lot of plans to fill out!
jbird likes this.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:05 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

This is going to be a pretty big year for me. After I lost my Dad, my fishing cut WAY back for 10 years as I just didn't have any friends that shared the passion. Cabin fever yielded a few benefits. I've made a lot of friends on this forum and it is my intent to fish with some of them in '14.

-March or shortly after ice out I am fishing some pike with Delopez somewhere in Iowa.
-I'll fish with Craigthor after he finds some fish in his new water.
-Fishing some local Musky water with a local new friend.
-Alaska in July for 5 days of fishing with Ard. Pike near his cabin and some salmon and trout if the timing is at all right.
-Hope to get my big fly skillset improved enough to fish with Ted later in the season (He doesn't know it yet)
-Can't forget Itchmesir. He has been my favorite winter fishing and other stuff debate partner. I really hope to fish with him before he moves to Colorado.

The ice does need to leave soon, or I'll be forced to open a Musky-Pike Fly Shop to recover the costs of all these flies.
mcnerney, jbird and craigthor like this.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:00 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post

The ice does need to leave soon, or I'll be forced to open a Musky-Pike Fly Shop to recover the costs of all these flies.
Can I have a job there too...
Old 02-02-2014, 07:22 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
Whats your plans this spring? Lets talk about your big trip you have planned. Is it your local stream/lake or across the world?

I moved to Wisconsin 2 1/2 years ago from Oregon. These winters are driving me insane! The first time in the past 30 years Ive had to go more than 3 weeks without casting a flyrod. I wish I could just go to sleep and wake up after the thaw!
I have been spending the open water months chasing warmwater species, but this spring I have my eye on trout. I plan to hit the road and explore this state this spring.

Whats your plans??
How far are you from Portage? There is a warm water discharge there

I have no immediate plans... Though I'd really like to hit up some saltwater action for my first time... Wish I could find something less than $600 though for chasing reds down south...
jbird likes this.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:29 PM

jtliving is on a distinguished road

I'm looking forward in March to do some catch and release in SE Minnesota and or go down to NE Iowa and bring home some rainbows and browns from the Highlandville/Dorchester area.
Mnflyfish, itchmesir and jbird like this.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:29 PM

labradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura about

I'm new to MO trout fishing and am really looking forward to trying out the White and also taking a stab at catching one of the huge browns that they have below Taneycomo. I'll be in Montana, BC, and the Yukon a lot of the year. :P So as far as palm trees and warm thoughts go, only a couple weeks planned with the family down in the Keys. The boys want to vacation in Colorado again this year but I'm trying to talk them into something a little closer to saltwater....
jbird likes this.