The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree14Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 09:57 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Next Fly Swap Ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctshooter View Post
Dry fly swap should be up next...
Old 02-03-2014, 10:02 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I like the deer hair streamer idea...could be diverse and fun. Another thought to broaden it even more would be any pattern that prominently features deer hair.

JoJer likes this.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:05 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Deer hair sounds cool! But it's the season to hit the Keys so SW stuff would be cool as well!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-04-2014, 01:50 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Larry.
I just thought of a way to determine A Swap Pattern ( I know it was HARD) .
Firstly: Open The Swap to 12-14 Tyers as usual First come First in Basis .
Secondly: Put All The Names in a Hat & draw out who names What Fly Pattern/Group to be Tied.
Anyone can also decline to nominate a Fly if they wish.

Brian.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:46 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone has submitted some good ideas for the next swap, but John (dean_mt) has volunteered to take over hosting this upcoming swap, so I changed the owner of this thread to John and let me proceed with it. Thanks everyone!

Larry

Old 02-04-2014, 08:16 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Thanks Larry, I'll take it!

There are a lot of good ideas here. Brian I like your idea, I would call that a "swap-lotto." But since I just finally got my vise out for the first time in 3 months after moving I'd rather declare before starting.

Since I made the deer hair idea yesterday that is obviously where I'm leaning and there seems to be some more interest. So let's let the thread go for a bit and see...would you rather the general deer hair - any pattern or deer hair on a streamer i.e. Bucktails, muddlers, etc.?

---------- Post added at 07:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 AM ----------

OK...check that, I should have checked my messages first. Larry informed that CTshooter requested a dry fly swap back when the midge was getting under way.

So, interest in dries? Anything we could do to focus it at all, or just stay wide open?

Old 02-04-2014, 09:04 AM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Plenty of dries can utilize deer hair. best of both worlds. Not sure if I'll participate in this one I've done 2-3 now and would like to let some others have a chance. Maybe post in the fly swap forums about a new swap.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:11 AM

tail of the pool is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tail of the pool

Agreed here, great management skills Where do i sign up, Except for the dry idea(will if I have too

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Thanks Larry, I'll take it!

Since I made the deer hair idea yesterday that is obviously where I'm leaning and there seems to be some more interest. So let's let the thread go for a bit and see...would you rather the general deer hair - any pattern or deer hair on a streamer i.e. Bucktails, muddlers, etc.?

---------- Post added at 07:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 AM ----------

OK...check that, I should have checked my messages first. Larry informed that CTshooter requested a dry fly swap back when the midge was getting under way.

So, interest in dries? Anything we could do to focus it at all, or just stay wide open?

I think I fish, in part, because itís an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. ĖJohn Gierach
Old 02-04-2014, 09:25 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

How about attractor patterns.

Humpy, H&L Varient, Wolf, Royal coachman, Renegade, Stimulators, etc
Old 02-04-2014, 09:56 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tail of the pool View Post
Agreed here, great management skills Where do i sign up, Except for the dry idea(will if I have too
A muddler can be used as a dry to imitate hoppers

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

I'm ok with dry swap... Haven't really been on that track of thought and I should get working on filling up that box... April will be here in no time
Closed Thread