The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 04:00 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default Hook threaders?

I am reluctantly surrendering to age my eyes are quite suddenly failing me with small, up close work. Not to mention a life time of blue collar work has my hands with all the dexterity of a pair of catchers mits
Back in another lifetime, I used to tie and fish tiny little flies for trout regularly but moved into bigger stuff over the past many years.
Enough blathering, I plan on fishing some smaller flies again, like #18-#24s. From the difficulty I've had recently threading large flies, I know I'm going to need a tool for these little ones... Recommendations?
Old 02-03-2014, 06:24 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hook threaders?

C and F Designs Threads work awesome all the way down to 26's which is as small as I tie
Old 02-03-2014, 06:53 PM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

Ty-rite jr. look it up they work great for holding and tying on the fly. still have to thread it. I can thread if I can hold it.
jbird likes this.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:02 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
C and F Designs Threads work awesome all the way down to 26's which is as small as I tie
Jay: Welcome to the club! This is one club you don't want to be a member of, but old age has a way of forcing us to join. I also use the C and F threaders, but have found that with a good pair of readers handy on the water I don't need them until I drop down to size 22 or below, unless of course I'm in poor lighting conditions. My normal fishing, I try not to go below a 20, but winter fishing can force using the really small stuff. Argh!

Larry
popperfly and jbird like this.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:08 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys! Those look simple and compact. I like that I see they offer different sizes. is it realistic to get the smaller size and it will service larger flies too?
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:25 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
Thanks guys! Those look simple and compact. I like that I see they offer different sizes. is it realistic to get the smaller size and it will service larger flies too?
The reds are midge 20-32 and finer wire than say the blues which are down to a size 20, you can find direct links in the classifieds to them under me.

Craig
Old 02-03-2014, 08:27 PM

rapman is on a distinguished road

I really like this magnetic threader. Inexpensive and it actually works as advertised! I've used it to tie on 20's, but I'm sure it would work with even smaller stuff.

Click the image to open in full size.
jbird likes this.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapman View Post
I really like this magnetic threader. Inexpensive and it actually works as advertised! I've used it to tie on 20's, but I'm sure it would work with even smaller stuff.

Click the image to open in full size.
I was looking at this one and it was appealing because I wouldn't have to hold the tiny fly in my club like fingers. I went ahead and ordered the C&F. we'll see how they do
craigthor likes this.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:33 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

You can get a little needle threader at a fabric store for under a buck. They are like a small version of a bobbin threader that you'd use for fly tying. Flat,light,and cheap.
Put the hook of the fly in a foam patch or a piece of cork, push the threader through the eye, and pull the tippet through the eye. Tie your knot while the hook is still captive.
I drill a 1/4" hole lengthwise through a wine bottle cork, run a piece of paracord up the hole. Knot one end, put a snap swivel on the other end. Works on a lanyard, vest, or just a button hole on your shirt or jacket. Great for drying flies before putting them back in the box, or to hold them in cold fingers while attaching to tippet.
jbird likes this.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
Put the hook of the fly in a foam patch or a piece of cork, push the threader through the eye, and pull the tippet through the eye. Tie your knot while the hook is still captive.
I drill a 1/4" hole lengthwise through a wine bottle cork, run a piece of paracord up the hole. Knot one end, put a snap swivel on the other end. Works on a lanyard, vest, or just a button hole on your shirt or jacket. Great for drying flies before putting them back in the box, or to hold them in cold fingers while attaching to tippet.
I really like this idea