The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By siege
  • 2 Post By Hardyreels
  • 2 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 08:58 AM

sabutler2 is on a distinguished road
Default Care and Maintenance

I'm a new fly fisherman after 30 years of "other" fishing. After watching many videos of fly fishing, I have a couple of simple questions:

1) Wet gear - it seems like all fly fishing videos end with somebody catching a fish and their rod/reel being underwater. What is the maintenance required after dunking the gear? Do you have to dry everything including the fly line?

2) Transport - on most videos, the fisherman is carrying all of his gear in a case or tube. Is this how you get your stuff out to the water? I'm used to breaking the rod/reel into 2 pieces at the most and putting a band around the ends. How do you get your gear to and from the water?

Might sound simple, but want to understand all of the nuances of the sport.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:11 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future
Default Re: Care and Maintenance

Welcome to the forum !
If my reel gets dunked, I remove the spool and shake it out. Fly line should not be absorbent so it dries quickly. Things are usually dried out by the time I get home. Occasionally I will clean and condition line, but not after every trip.
Transport ? My spinning rods never went in a tube, but my fly rods always do. My fly rods tend to be more expensive, and I perceive them to be more fragile. I have built a bunch of rod cases out of PVC pipe, and the rods are also stored in them. Protect your investment

Last edited by siege; 02-04-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:14 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Rod tubes for every rod making the trip. I want my rod and reel to be ready to go and not broken when I finally arrive at the water. I have a couple of tubes that the reel and rod can be transported in. Great for hopping from one place on the river to another.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:48 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

I agree with Mike. Especially if traveling to a destination, having some expenses involved, and finding yourself without a useable rod. If your buddy, your kid, or even your dog sits on your fly rod, it will suck all the sunshine out of the day. Don't ask me why I know this
It's like the sales pitch I got from an insurance salesman once. I don't plan to have a flat tire, but have a spare. I don't plan on having my house catch fire but I have extinguishers ready......I don't plan on accidentally putting my tool box on top of my fly rod, but I still keep in a hard case or tube until I'm ready to fish with it.
mridenour likes this.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:44 AM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice

Siege, could you possibly share a couple photos of the tubes you built? I have several one piece fly rods, actually all but two of my fishing rods are one piece. It was never an issue before, I just put them under the deck of the boat, locked them up, and didn't worry about it. Now that I have traded lakes and flats for streams, it's a little more difficult to manage. I refuse to pay what they want for a commercial rod locker and I only have pickups, so I was thinking of building a few out of PVC and fastening them to the bed in some fashion or another. I was also considering how I could "lock up" the end. I would love a photo of that if you have come up with something ingenious. I don't want to go wading with three rods and I don't trust some of the "Ozarkians" I've run across where I park. The local Waffle House is not much better....
Old 02-05-2014, 12:51 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

This thread will demonstrate how important proper care is with your new fly rod. http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...tml#post545198 If you add up the data it usually comes down to improper use or transport.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard
mridenour and waterfordcreek like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-05-2014, 10:25 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I use a DB Dunn Rod and Reel case for a two piece rods. I take 3 rods/reels with me so I take a double rod/reel tube and a single tube.

I use 4 piece rods but I carry the rods and reels strung up in 2 pieces and ready to go. I take the rod with reel out of the tube, join the middle ferrule, and I am ready to fish.

The rod and reel should be the LAST piece of equipment you take out when you leave your vehicle to fish, and the FIRST piece of equipment you put away when you get back to your vehicle. If you do that, you will not break a rod while getting your other gear together to go fishing or forget your rod on the top of the car when you leave.
mridenour and siege like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-05-2014, 10:36 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I use a DB Dunn Rod and Reel case for a two piece rods. I take 3 rods/reels with me so I take a double rod/reel tube and a single tube.

I use 4 piece rods but I carry the rods and reels strung up in 2 pieces and ready to go. I take the rod with reel out of the tube, join the middle ferrule, and I am ready to fish.

The rod and reel should be the LAST piece of equipment you take out when you leave your vehicle to fish, and the FIRST piece of equipment you put away when you get back to your vehicle. If you do that, you will not break a rod while getting your other gear together to go fishing or forget your rod on the top of the car when you leave.
I do the same thing. My four piece rods are broken down into 2 pieces. If I am fishing multiple flies I put them in the reel case on the reel before putting the rod in the tube. That keeps them from getting hooked in the case or getting really tangled up.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:08 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I lost a lot of stuff off the tops of vehicles- a rod, gloves, coffee cups, cameras -before I learned my lesson. It was after nearly losing my best rod off the top of the van that I made myself a rule: If you have to set it down, set it on the hood so you see it before you drive off!

All my rods are two piece. I also use a two-rod caddy. When I leave the truck, I bury the caddy under extra stuff on the floor of the back seat.
I've tried wading with two rods but don't care for it. It's too much. Pick a tool and use it. Might be different if I had 4 pc rods.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey