The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree60Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 05:56 PM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice
Default Re: A strange question to ask

Look pal, I just got done doing my taxes, so don't question my "charity". I'm a single father too who is supporting two young boys. I also support at least two other families that I don't know if the numbers on my tax return are any indication...

It's wonderful that you're hooked on the sport and that you get enjoyment out of it. Why not take it a step further while you're at it and teach your kids a good lesson about how a man should take care of his own self or about working hard to meet a goal?? My little boys went to Cabela's and picked up two new Redington rods recently. We made a deal. They wanted to learn how to fly fish and I wanted to teach them that money doesn't grow on trees. They sold firewood to buy their rods. I did the cutting, we all worked on the splitting, and they did the stacking when it was delivered. They learned a good life lesson and we got to spend some great quality time together.

I don't mean to be "preachy" but geez what's so hard these days about working for what you want??? Everyone has their damn hand out. If little boys can work for something they want, so can you. If you don't have wood, the highways are lined with beer cans.

Last edited by labradorguy; 02-04-2014 at 06:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-04-2014, 08:22 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

What raised my eyebrow was the name "deathwish" and the original post? Just didn't match up imo. Time will tell I guess.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:47 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Hope everything works out for you and your kids deathwish. It can be tough out there especially if you're in an area with little industry and too broke to move. Some good advise here from other posters.
Best
Old 02-04-2014, 09:30 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

For less than $50 you can get a 5/6 wt Shakespeare fly rod/reel combo at Walmart. If you search on eBay you can find flies by the dozen for under $10. Fly fishing doesn't have to be expensive, although it can be. Some folks have $$ to spend on high dollar equipment and that's great, while others do not, and that's fine too. I have seen other flyfishermen using a walmart fly combo out fish another that was using gear that cost 2 of my paychecks. The important thing is not your gear, but your love and passion for the sport, sharing that with your children and or grandchildren etc.
I can relate to having to sell things to pay bills, priorities first. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 02-05-2014, 12:32 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

I don't mean to sound uncaring or insensitive, but if you can't afford to do it, then don't do it.

Fly fishing can be an expensive hobby and the important word here is hobby. You shouldn't be spending time or money on a hobby when you don't have time or money to take care of your family.

Think about the other costs associated with fishing that will cut into your budget. Gas money, time away from work, wear and tear on your vehicle, food/drinks, etc.

There are lots of cheaper hobbies or activities you can do with your kids that don't cost a lot of money. Maybe at this juncture in your life, you put fly fishing on the back burner for a little while and revisit it when you have the time and money to do so.

I'm all for charity and helping someone out, but I feel your request is irresponsible and you're only looking for a handout so YOU can go out and have some fun and you're dragging your kids in for the sympathy. And, you're just looking to increase your personal stash of equipment.

In any case, I work with a few non-profits, and as far as I know, they don't just give you equipment because you say you're in need. Usually the non-profits will hold events or outings where you can sign up to attend.

Sorry man, just a lot of red flags. Call me jaded, but going on the internet asking for cheap or free equipment is just the wrong way to go about it...
Auntie Em likes this.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:44 PM
mridenour

There were a lot of years that I couldn't afford to do much more than take a couple of old spinning rods and reels that I owned and the kids to a pond to watch bobbers. There were years that I couldn't buy fishing tackle because of my health issues or my kids' health issues. Life got hard when I was laid off from the best paying job I ever had. There were no fishing trips then, I worked all the hours I could work to provide for my family. Never once in my life did I ask anyone to give me anything. I've been in situations where depression and desperation ran through me like an icy cold river. I had to weather the storm and get things in order before I could get back to the things I loved to do. My family has got to ALWAYS come before fishing. Asking people to give me things I can't afford isn't a good example for my family. Kids need to be taught that being a dad sometimes requires sacrifice and that hurts sometimes.

I raised my kids. I wish I had done a better job but I did a good job. They both know that they can get whatever they are willing to work for. They don't expect to be taken care of by the government, me or anyone else in this world. If they need help sometime, people will respect them for their work ethic and help them out. I'm reasonably happy with how they turned out even though if it were left up to me, I'd make a few changes.

Now, I can get back to doing some of the things I enjoy most. There was along hiatus in my fly fishing and fly-tying life but good things come to those that wait. I enjoy having a few nice things, although I am much tighter with a dollar than many on this forum, but I have earned this opportunity.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:47 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

All the little hairs on the back of my neck stood on end when I read this post. I so wanted to be wrong. The intuition built into a Mom can sometimes (though not terribly often) be slower (from wishing it were not so) but rarely wrong. I'm glad the rest of my buds on here saw it the same way.
rockthief and williamhj like this.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:08 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

I am with Betty and the rest of you. There is a whole lot fishy about this request and too much conflicting information. I give away many reels and lines every year and a few rods. Just shipped off four reels, two lines and one rod. But, this topic has forgetaboutit all over it.
Auntie Em likes this.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:52 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
There were a lot of years that I couldn't afford to do much more than take a couple of old spinning rods and reels that I owned and the kids to a pond to watch bobbers. There were years that I couldn't buy fishing tackle because of my health issues or my kids' health issues. Life got hard when I was laid off from the best paying job I ever had. There were no fishing trips then, I worked all the hours I could work to provide for my family. Never once in my life did I ask anyone to give me anything. I've been in situations where depression and desperation ran through me like an icy cold river. I had to weather the storm and get things in order before I could get back to the things I loved to do. My family has got to ALWAYS come before fishing. Asking people to give me things I can't afford isn't a good example for my family. Kids need to be taught that being a dad sometimes requires sacrifice and that hurts sometimes.

I raised my kids. I wish I had done a better job but I did a good job. They both know that they can get whatever they are willing to work for. They don't expect to be taken care of by the government, me or anyone else in this world. If they need help sometime, people will respect them for their work ethic and help them out. I'm reasonably happy with how they turned out even though if it were left up to me, I'd make a few changes.

Now, I can get back to doing some of the things I enjoy most. There was along hiatus in my fly fishing and fly-tying life but good things come to those that wait. I enjoy having a few nice things, although I am much tighter with a dollar than many on this forum, but I have earned this opportunity.
An opportunity is what someone gives you, an option is what you have given yourself! You Sir, have the option...

Dave
mridenour likes this.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

For anyone to show up on this forum and ask for anything for free is inappropriate.

There are private organizations and government agencies that give assistance.

This is a discussion forum.
rockthief, lacanadio and mridenour like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Closed Thread