The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree60Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 11:49 AM
deathwish

Default A strange question to ask

I am a single father trying to raise 3 young children on my own and was intoduced to fly fishing last summer and am hooked.Due to the financial restaints of raising 3 kids on my own modest income,buying a fly rod and reel for salmon fishing is very difficult.Does anyone no of any non profit organizations were one may get one cheap or free.I am not looking for a Sage or Hardy.Just something in a 7 or 8 weight to get on the river.Thank you.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:10 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A strange question to ask

What happened to the Axiom you bought for 1/2 price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwish View Post
I bought a new Temple Forks Axiom 1/2 price sale 150.00 and it's a nice rig for my price range.

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

Or all of the high end lines that you have tried?

Quote:
I have tried Allot of high end lines with same set up for salmon fishing and by far best on my reel is cortland platium 9weight line.
I'm not saying your trying to pull a fast one, but are you trying to pull a fast one?
Old 02-04-2014, 12:20 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I did a huge amount of OT for my Boss.He has offered to buy me any new salmon rod and reel I want.So I am looking for opinions on what would be the best set up I could pick in a 8 weight single handed fly rod and reel combo.Price appears to not be an issue.I have been using a cheap set up and am not familier with top end equipment so looking for advice.
What happened to the rod your boss bought you or the cheap set up before that??? Are you pulling a fast one on us? Hmmmm

Dave
Old 02-04-2014, 12:21 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I wonder if the name "newtyer" rings a bell?
mcnerney, Auntie Em and theboz like this.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:34 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta love members with a memory!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-04-2014, 12:41 PM

toxicfly is on a distinguished road

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:44 PM

keithsz is on a distinguished road

paging Scott Martin, Scott Martin.......
Old 02-04-2014, 12:49 PM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice

Wal-Mart sells them.

Last edited by labradorguy; 02-04-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:58 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

First thing I did when I saw this was to go back and read all of the previous posts. I was sad to see that there seems to be a total lack of consistency here and in the words of Han Solo, "I have a bad feeling about this."
mcnerney and Auntie Em like this.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:03 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I can think of a few times here on these pages where I was the one that jumped all over somebody's **** for something like this and it turned out that I was greatly mistaken.

So to answer the question.....Check with your local fly club.
I know that with our club some of the senior members pass away every year and their survivors don't know what to do with their gear.
Club officers are often aware of what's available and might be willing to help someone truly in need..

Saturday, I tried to give away a couple of rods to someone in our club who runs classes for kids....They didn't want 'em, they didn't need 'em. Already got plenty.
mcnerney, Auntie Em and siege like this.