The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 12:51 AM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What are you getting when buy riverfront property?

I own two pieces of riverfront property, one in Montana, one in Missouri. With both, I get the benefit of being able to walk out my front door (in Montana) or out of my car parked at a private parking spot, and be fishing twenty yards away. I get to put in or take out a canoe or personal raft or kayak at my place instead of using a public access; have my wife drive me up to the put-in and drop me off and I'm done when I get to the house, or put in at the house and call her to come pick me up when I'm about finished with the float. It saves lots of time otherwise spent on shuttling vehicles. I can't stop people from floating by or walking along the gravel bars or picnicking on the island in front of the house, but I can lounge on a lawn chair in the shade and watch them going down the river fishing, along with eagles and pelicans and ospreys and waterfowl. On the river in Missouri, floating is difficult to impossible in the low water of summer and dangerous for the inexperienced in higher water levels, so it really doesn't get a lot of people away from the public accesses, so I generally have the river to myself when I go there.

So even in states like Montana and Missouri with enlightened river access, owning land along the river has its perks. As long as you accept the fact that you don't own the river, you're still in a situation that is envied by a lot of people.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:45 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Way back in the day one of my reporting departments were the Flood Insurance staff. You got a home loan and you got a letter asking (in places you had no choice) to get Flood Insurance.

Central (Sacramento) Valley in California you had no choice regardless of where you were on 'the map.' Production people would SCREAM AT ME that you 'can't do that.' I told them to go fuxk off.

Then the 1,000 year flood.
brookfieldangler likes this.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:54 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

This is a topic of heated discussion here in CO.

Private land ownership vs. public access. Problem: I see both sides.

CAB
Old 02-07-2014, 06:32 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
This is a topic of heated discussion here in CO.

Private land ownership vs. public access. Problem: I see both sides.

CAB
Utah too. Right now. Utah Stream Access Coalition
Old 02-07-2014, 07:19 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Having lived within 65 feet of one of northern Michigan's best trout rivers for more than 7 years now and fishing said river for over 50 years, I've seen the best of angling and canoe-based respect and behavior. I've always allowed access to those who bothered to stop by the house and ask, and "sheltered" a few racing canoes as well until they were retrieved later on that evening.

That said, I've also been privy to some of the worst transgressions imaginable, all made by people with little to no respect for their surroundings. Trash duty at the landing near the end of our driveway is a weekly affair, as is walking the riverbank or wading across the river to the neighboring log jams with a small garbage bag in hand. It's a shame that some people are so willing to discard anything and everything into the river or onto the nearby riverbanks.

Over the years that I've fished this river or lived on it, my own approach has been two-fold-- respect the surrounding properties, the landowners and the river whenever fishing, first and foremost, and give everyone the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise when allowing access.

I may be a bit biased, but I've seldom missed the mark by letting an angler enter the river from the yard, as fly fishermen tend to return to favorite places on the river and gift such egress with a certain amount of inherent respect and gratitude, as do many canoeing enthusiasts. Then again, there have been a few of both that have really pushed my button, so to speak.

I guess it all comes down to taking a read on the person(s) in front of you and trusting your gut, as this river truly does belong to everyone. All I ask is that it be treated as such...
Old 02-07-2014, 09:24 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I took the photo above looking toward the Madison Range. In the center of the photo above is the Sphinx Mountain.
I love that mountain... one of the coolest around
Old 02-07-2014, 09:52 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

They just extended the "flood plain" map here to include a radius for 100yr flood... Pretty much if you live in the valley now... You're gonna pay flood insurance
Old 02-07-2014, 10:00 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

When I built my home, I was harrassed to buy flood insurance. I live in the glacial hills above the Mississippi River. Some guy looked at a map and said I was close to the river so I was required to buy flood insurance. He didn't realize that the entire city of St. Louis would be underwater before my house flooded. I have been able to see the flood waters from my perch atop the hill but if it ever reaches me, insurance isn't going to do anyone any good.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:07 AM

national rivers has a spectacular aura aboutnational rivers has a spectacular aura about

Yes there are pros and cons to each side. We are just explaining what existing law says, and how it's is often being ignored. Since you seem interested in Colorado, river law & public rights for Colorado is discussed in this handout. Hope it helps, at least in understanding existing law. Cheers
http://www.nationalrivers.org/2013%2...0on%208x11.pdf
Old 02-07-2014, 11:34 AM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by national rivers View Post
Yes there are pros and cons to each side. We are just explaining what existing law says, and how it's is often being ignored. Since you seem interested in Colorado, river law & public rights for Colorado is discussed in this handout. Hope it helps, at least in understanding existing law. Cheers
http://www.nationalrivers.org/2013%2...0on%208x11.pdf
interesting read,
but in short:
Can and should i attempt to navigate along the banks of any CO river? even through private land?