The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 08:10 AM

parsond is on a distinguished road
Default Trout bummin' later in life

So in about 8 years I will be able to retire from my HS teaching position. I love what I do and I am not sure I’ll be ready to hang it up at that time, but if I did I think I might like to sell my house and most of my worldly possessions, hook my drift boat up to some sort of truck/camper, and head out into the world trout bummin’. My wife is all for the idea. The idea of living frugally and simply doing what we love is intoxicatingly attractive. She is a lot younger than I am and a free spirit. It might be a fun adventure for a few years!

Anyway… have any of you done this sort of thing? Know anyone who has? What would the monthly costs be roughly? What am I not considering? Insurance is a consideration. Other thoughts on this crazy plan?

-Paul Schullery
Old 02-05-2014, 08:21 AM

jgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nice
Default Re: Trout bummin' later in life

Follow your dreams. You never know where they will take you.
siege likes this.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:24 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Sounds awesome! Hope you can work it out.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:50 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Great thought !
I see a reality TV series in your future. Mr. and Mrs Troutbum....Life on the stream.

I'd tune in. Duck Dynasty meets Swamp People. But....So much better with a fly rod.

Seriously, that's a long way out, but it sounds great. I hope it works out for you.
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:07 AM

pm287 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Trout bummin' later in life

This is a post of my dreams. I too am thinking about retiring in 3 years. We would love to spend some extended time in...Montana....

Cost......What is the cost of living a dream?

Thanks and have a great day
Paul
mcnerney and parsond like this.

Last edited by pm287; 02-05-2014 at 09:09 AM. Reason: adding
Old 02-05-2014, 10:04 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

There used to be a great website on the vagabonding lifestyle.
Lots of information on DIY van conversion, free/stealth camping, finding national forest campground hosting "jobs", health and financing concerns and everything in between.
The site seems to be gone.
Maybe they took their own good advice
mcnerney, dhayden and mridenour like this.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:39 AM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough

In an earlier life, I taught HS as well. My wife was a teacher too.

Having spent our whole life (some 25 years ) living in Connecticut, we decided to take one whole summer and go see the country. We camped, backpacked and fished all the way to Washington and down the coast to CA.

We hit most of the big national parks and major mountain ranges along the way....spent 8 weeks doing it.

I always said that the best thing about teaching (on a personal level) was that you got to practice retirement for 8-10 weeks every year.

Seems like you can practice and hone your dream for the next 8 summers.

Tight Lines!

Joe
Old 02-05-2014, 10:41 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I have been a "part time" trout bum my whole adult life...and was more so through the good old days in the 70's. I've known many a man and a few couples that have lived what you are proposing. But you are asking questions most of them did not. Insurance, budgets, security...NOT in the trout bums normal lexicon. Many wind up guiding but there are a lot of footloose young guides in Montana these days. Some take to tackle shops for a little income but then they are not fishing. Some have tried to write or photograph fishing...this worked OK back in the day but is harder know because of the ease of digitality...any talentless individual can record and PhotoShop a publishable image.

An old pal of mine, a big, strong, bright, talented, well educated Easterner, gave up on making it in the urban world early on and moved to Idaho. He married a local woman, they ran a fly shop for a while, they both tied seriously fine flies, he was a master guide on difficult water. They never made a nickel but threw dinner parties for all us more seasonal trout bums at midnight after fishing and drinking. She divorced him and took up with one of his better healed Eastern buddies. He lived in his camper truck towing a heavy old drift boat. Eventually he wintered in a cabin in a small trout town and wrote a fine and detailed book, I do not believe it was ever seriously considered for publication. But in the summer we would meet up on whatever stream was having the best flows, temps and hatches. He bought the cheapest bath tub vodka (don't gift me the good stuff, it will spoil me) and gave up on graphite rods, fishing only cane, fine cane on his preferred spring creek environments. He said, "You can go to the opera, great concerts and museums when you go home, I have to settle for PBS broadcasts. But I can walk out my door and fish this creek when ever it is above freezing." He was a great angler and a true free spirit, a trout bum to model trout bums after, he had a few skirmishes with the law, never really recovered from his wife breaking his heart and, though he made many friends among the society of hard core anglers, he died alone from an unresolved recurring medical problem. He had VA benefits but no VA hospital any where near his fishing grounds, he had no other insurance, no will and no money other than what his magnificent flies brought in and those too he freely gave away.
bigjim5589, Bigfly, rickf and 7 others like this.

Last edited by sweetandsalt; 02-05-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:48 AM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Trout bummin' later in life

live free while you can ,
cause y'll be a long time gone someday.
double d likes this.

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory
Old 02-05-2014, 10:51 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Parsond: We have a member Muzzy (muzz flaco) that is about 35 years old and single, he quit his job (totally bored with it) and went on a several month fly fishing sabbatical. He came up to Wyoming in his travels and I fished with him, a float on the Green, another float on the New Fork and wade fished below Fontenelle and had a great time together. I have his email address/phone number, if interested I could pass that to you to see if he will respond. He would definitely know what it costs to live the trout bum life and give you some great insight into what he ran into. Here is his trip thread, I have asked him to put up some more photos and tell what he did after the last post, he said he would once he got some free time. I gathered that he had found a new job that was keeping him pretty busy.
Kung Fu Sabbatical 13

Larry
parsond, lightline and mridenour like this.