The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 10:56 AM

oldtownpaddler has a spectacular aura aboutoldtownpaddler has a spectacular aura about
Default Greys Fly Rods

Looking to get a new 3wt rod to add to my 5wt and 8wt. I want something to through small poppers for panfish but also for small stream dry fly fishing for trout. Found the Greys GR50 and this rod looks AMAZING with the beautiful wood reel seat and the grey finish. Anyone have any experience with them and who owns Greys. Looks like it might be Hardy but I'm not sure. Would this rod good for my purposes? Also, would a 6', 6'6", 7', or a 7'6" be the best for me.
Thanks for any answers.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:14 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Greys Fly Rods

Greys is indeed owned by Hardy -- which in turn was recently purchased by Pure Fishing, the holding company for other brands like Penn, Berkley and Shakespeare.

I don't know the model you're interested in, but I'm very happy with my (now-discontinued) Greys X-Flite 9' 6 weight.

If you're looking for a small steam 3 weight I would suggest 7' or 7' 6". If you go shorter than 7' you are losing more versatility than you gain, I think.

Last edited by moucheur2003; 02-05-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:48 PM

oldtownpaddler has a spectacular aura aboutoldtownpaddler has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
Greys is indeed owned by Hardy -- which in turn was recently purchased by Pure Fishing, the holding company for other brands like Penn, Berkley and Shakespeare.
Ok. So are they also made in England. If not, anyone know where?
Old 02-05-2014, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtownpaddler View Post
Ok. So are they also made in England. If not, anyone know where?
I've read somewhere that they are made in the Far East and not the UK....they're good rods though
Old 02-05-2014, 03:13 PM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
I've read somewhere that they are made in the Far East and not the UK....they're good rods though
True dat. I saw that the GRXi+ fell mid-pack in the Yellowstone Anglers 5 wt comparo. Not bad for a rod that retails for $189 and can be had for as little as $99 + shipping if you search the auction sites.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:15 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

I believe Korea is where most of Hardy is made now, at least the reels are.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:24 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Mine's made in Korea. I'm guessing it's probably the same factory that makes most of the Hardy rods. (Yes, most Hardy graphite rods are now made in Korea, not the UK.)
Old 02-05-2014, 03:27 PM

Ok. Would this rod be good for panfish and small trout streams?
Old 02-05-2014, 05:26 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

Dunno 'bout Grey's rods. I bought a TFO BVK 8 foot 3wt, and it's great for the small streams. I wanted a short, light rod for tight work and small fish. I've been surprised a couple of times, and glad I had enough stick! I've even used it on "real" streams as a dry fly rod. It's 4 piece, so add portable to the list.

8 foot, 4 wt. 4 pc. A very versatile rod, and a natural addition to your quiver.

CAB

Last edited by cab; 02-05-2014 at 05:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-05-2014, 08:19 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I have a 6' 5wt and a 2wt and I just love them both. I mostly fish streams that have a tree canopy. I have fishing 8' rods and I spend more time in the trees than I did in the water. With a double haul I can cast upward of 50' with little trouble depending on flies being used. This is warm water so I am fishing poppers, foam flies and some weighted flies with small lead barbells and bead chain. I mostly fish # 6 down to #12 flies. Wets, dries, poppers, and streamers. Works for me. Open water I would pick a longer rod but I love my short rods. I would like to find a 7' 8 or 9wt too.