The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 01:52 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wyoming Cutt Slam

Wyoming Game and Fish has a program called the Wyoming Cutt Slam where they will send you a certificate if you catch all four of the recognized species of Cutthroat in Wyoming which consists of the Yellowstone, Colorado, Bonneville and Snake River. You need to document when/where you caught each fish and also have a photo of the fish. Also each species has to be caught in it's "native drainage". For me, that meant that the Snake river cutthroats I caught on the Green, the New Fork and the Bighorn didn't count, so I went to up to Pacific Creek and I also caught a couple on Hoback river on the way home. The Yellowstone Cutthroat I caught up in the Wind River Range a couple years ago didn't count either, the biologist said those are all stocked fish, but luckily I also had caught one over on the Bighorn a few years back that counted. Once I had all four fish documented, the hardest part was catching one of the two fish biologists in the office to verify that I had completed the Cutt Slam. Anyway, I finally got that accomplished and here is the certificate they sent me from Cheyenne, now to get it framed and hung on the wall. This would seem simple, but living in a small town has its own challenges as there is only one framing business in town, we drove out that way yesterday, I had looked it up online and figured it would be easy to find (made the mistake of not jotting down the address), when we got out there we didn't see any sign for their business, so this morning we gave them a call, no one was home and they don't have an answering machine, seems like a strange way to run a business.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Larry

Old 02-05-2014, 01:54 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wyoming Cutt Slam

That is awesome! I'd like to do that someday but I would have to spend a lot of time in Wyoming to do it. That would be a bummer.

Congrats!
mcnerney and oldtownpaddler like this.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:58 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
That is awesome! I'd like to do that someday but I would have to spend a lot of time in Wyoming to do it. That would be a bummer.

Congrats!
Mike: Not really, I was talking to a long time resident the other day and he did the program in one day, it is all in researching the correct streams! I think you already have the Yellowstone cutthroat under your belt, if so, I'm pretty sure I can get you into the other three in one day.

Larry
mridenour likes this.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:06 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Mike: Not really, I was talking to a long time resident the other day and he did the program in one day, it is all in researching the correct streams! I think you already have the Yellowstone cutthroat under your belt, if so, I'm pretty sure I can get you into the other three in one day.

Larry
I've got lots of Yellowstone Cutts. That'd be pretty cool. I am going to have to try to pull that off.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

By the sounds of it you need a router - a miter saw - and a mat cutter. Combine that with a nice work table and some clamps - a small finish nail gun and some glue and you'll be in business

Congratulations on getting this done Larry have you ever made a frame? Seriously, it's not as hard as most prices would make you think.
jbird likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-05-2014, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
By the sounds of it you need a router - a miter saw - and a mat cutter. Combine that with a nice work table and some clamps - a small finish nail gun and some glue and you'll be in business

Congratulations on getting this done Larry have you ever made a frame? Seriously, it's not as hard as most prices would make you think.
Ard: Thanks, but I'm not that good at wood working like you are, better for me to let someone that really knows their stuff to have at it. When I lived in Laramie, there was a gal there that did awesome work at really reasonable prices, but that is a 4.5 hour one way drive for me. If I can't get it done locally, I will just wait until the next trip down to visit the kids.

Larry

Old 02-05-2014, 02:30 PM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

Congrats Larry.

These guys are a small shop next to my place and I have had stuff done there. They are great. I bet they would be willing to do it over the phone and mail it to you. Just give them the measurements.

FastFrame of LoDo - Expert Picture Framing
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Larry!!!
It was easier to catch the fish than...the biologists at the WGFD
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
Congrats Larry.

These guys are a small shop next to my place and I have had stuff done there. They are great. I bet they would be willing to do it over the phone and mail it to you. Just give them the measurements.

FastFrame of LoDo - Expert Picture Framing
Heck with mailing, sounds like a good excuse for a road trip into Denver! The GF turned wife loves Denver.

Larry
siege likes this.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:02 PM

Larry,
I'd be more than happy to make you a frame (I would be enlisting the help of my dad and his woodworking shop). Just let me know. You won't beat the price anywhere. I'll buy the materials and ship it to you. Just let me know what the dimensions need to be.

Mike
Hardyreels, jpbfly, jbird and 1 others like this.