The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 10:42 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future
Default Re: traveling with a lot gear

Hi, Michael !
Out west covers a lot of real estate. Where are you going, and what month are you going in ?
You'll get a ton of good info with a little more of your itinerary available. Will you be in a campground, or roughing it, visiting a national park, or avoiding the crowds ?

There are freight expediters who can help, and freight brokers who find space in trucks that don't have full loads.

Is it too far to drive given the amount of time you have for the trip ? If not, renting a van to hold the family and the camping gear may be an option. It would be less expensive, your "stuff" would arrive when you do, and would be in good condition. You'd get to see more of the country, too.
If flying is the only option, it might be cheaper to buy camping gear at a big box store at your destination rather than to ship it both ways. You could donate it to a local charitable organization, and pick up a nice tax write off, too.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:47 PM

mfick is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all of the great replies.

A little more information, I guess...

The trip would either begin in southern idaho, where a good friend of mine works at a hatchery, or central montana, where I used to manage a couple of fly shops. Either way, I should have a dependable place to ship gear, if that is the path we take.

The trip would involve us setting up a basecamp, fishibg for a few days, spend a couple of nights in a lodge to clean up a bit, base camp again in a new area, and return home.

Unfortunately, we would be leaving from Indiana, which eliminates driving due to the simple fact that the drive alone would eat up too much of the vacation.

One of the items I would be bringing is a fair amount of bamboo, and I would feel much safer shipping those rods than leaving them in checked baggage. Same thing goes for the rest of my flyfishing gear. As for camping gear, we discussed purchasing or buying out there, but the other parties involved are adamantly against it. I guess when you get used to a particular setup, it's hard to stray. Plus, we dont want the dependability of the gear to be in question, although certain items can obviously be spared.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:47 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Since you know where you are going I would box all your stuff up and hit up UPS and FedEx for quotes if you are set sendign freight I would start getting weight and making calls, some freight shipment may take a week or 2 depending if it has to be transfered to different trucks along the path.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:01 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=siege;638192]Hi, Michael !
and freight brokers who find space in trucks that don't have full loads.
[QUOTE]

That would be my advice too.
Also check into Greyhound ( Bus ), we've moved a lot of critically needed medical equipment around the country that absolutely had to get there on time and in one piece.

See: Ship Greyhound

tt
Old 02-08-2014, 05:16 PM

swidaho is on a distinguished road

I ship out a lot of boxes at times for work. Any where from 10 to 50 boxes at a time and to the same place. If you have more then 4 or 5 boxes, I'd box everything up and ship all on a pallet. It is cheaper and takes a day or 2 longer to get there. Shipping on a pallet also means less man handling and less damage.
siege likes this.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:22 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfick View Post
The trip would either begin in southern idaho, where a good friend of mine works at a hatchery, or central montana,
Is your buddy going with you? Have him round up the gear and you worry about getting yourself and your rods there.

Have you though about buying some gear out there? Maybe bring a good tent from home, but get pots and pans from a thrift store, a sleeping bag from wally world, etc. It might be cheaper than shipping.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:17 AM

skrap is on a distinguished road

I'm with Mike. We use UPS freight and they seem easy and cheap. Real quick pickups from the time I place the order and the cost are fairly cheap. We shipped a 3000# piece of construction equipment about 500 miles and it only cost about $250. The pallet was about 36" wide by 6' long. Only took two day from pickup to delivery.