The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 02:34 PM

oldtownpaddler has a spectacular aura aboutoldtownpaddler has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Looking for info on a Go pro camera.

Can't say anything about the Hero 3 but I have the Hero 1 and Hero 960, both older models, and I love them. I have though heard good things about the Hero 3. Maybe check eBay for an older model or a used one and then use the extra money for mounts and other accessories. Just an idea.

Any GoPro you buy I am sure you will like it.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:41 PM

hokiehunter07 will become famous soon enough

Here's a video a buddy made with a combo of the gp3 silver and original gopro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmB1...e_gdata_player

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
gzarboni likes this.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:56 PM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough

I owned a Hero 2, then sold it and bought two Hero 3 White editions. The Black edition is a great camera but it has some downsides.

First is the cost. You can buy two Whites for the cost of the Black. If you're going to be serious about using it be prepared to ruin a few in the water or by dropping them on rocks.

The Black also eats batteries much faster due to it's larger sensor. And using the higher resolutions eats up storage fast. Not to mention those larger files drastically increase your editing and rendering times. So if you don't absolutely need to shoot in resolutions higher than 1080p, the Black is overkill unless you want super hi rez slo mo.

For noobs, I always recommend that you start shooting all your videos in 720/30 until you understand the process.

You can see samples on my Youtube channel. The earlier examples were shot with the Hero 2, the recent examples with the Hero 3 White.
gzarboni likes this.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:04 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiehunter07 View Post
Go pros are awesome. The battery life isn't that great so be sure to get extra batteries. There's a combo on Amazon called Wasabi power that is a wall charger, car charger and 2 spare batteries for like $30 and it's worth it.
thanks for the tip
just looked it up and they are going for $24, thats 2 pack + charger, great deal, will be ordering soon
Old 02-06-2014, 03:18 PM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough

+1 on the Wasabi. I've owned for both my Hero 2 and Hero 3s. It is an absolute necessity.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:11 PM

okbow68 has a spectacular aura aboutokbow68 has a spectacular aura about

So if I am reading this all correctly a go pro hero 3 white edition would be more than enough camera for the neophyte?
Old 02-06-2014, 08:11 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl View Post
i had old Gopro Hero, gave that away
as we not have Hero3+ but i have not yet used it,
played around with it at home and really like the GoPro app (free) on my iPhone, you can see pics/videos right away and see what you're going to film when setting up with out needing to buy LCD screen($80), i think its a great app.

all i know is that if you do get Hero3+ Black edition, it requires highest rate micro SD cards (quite a bit more expensive then the ones for regular 3+)
yes it does have much higher frame rate, but question you have to ask is do you really need it?

so main diff between 3+ and 3+BE
3+ : 10 MP cam, 1080P 60fps, Burst mode 10frames/1sec
3+BE: 12 MP ca, Burst mode can do 30frames/1sec (this is would be cool, but thats really only needed if you plan on doing some very slow motion videos/sequence shots) , 4K (since 4K tv's just came out, i don't think you'll use all its power, 1080P is plenty at 60FPS, thats full HD), but you do get remote($80 if you wanted to get it for 3+) and 3+BE does have little better White Balance AUTO options.

but read some reviews, as i heard (not my personal experience) some people were having issues with 3+BE and memory cards freezing up/etc due to very high definition it can record at.

main things to consider: do you really need 4K definition and Burst of 30frames/1sec
do you need remote (if you have iPhone app i think its better as you can actually see the image on your phone so better for setting up perfect shots) for this you'd need LCD ($80)
and check price difference between Micro SD cards needed for Black Edition or 3 & 3+ as price i think doubles for Class10 or whatever is needed for the Black Edition.

one last advise: when buying SD cards i would suggest: if you want lets say 64 gigs, get 2 x 32gig cards or 4 x 16gig cards.
basically 16 gig card should outlast your battery or be right around same recording time as battery capacity. so if you buy additional batteries ($20 each) you can change out the SD card whenever you're changing the battery, its very easy.
reason for that is SD cards do tend to fail sometimes and if you have 64 gigs worth of videos you can loose it all (read this in online reviews)
i myself bought 32gig card

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

do you mean Flat Lens housing?? in which case it is Flat
the lens itself (like all others) is not
Yes, just the housing. I heard they were going to fix the problem. Sounds like they did. The round lens on the housing made things look out of focus.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:40 PM

hokiehunter07 will become famous soon enough

I'd get the silver over the white. There's enough performance difference between the white and silver

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk