The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 08:40 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Selecting line for a St Croix Legend Ultra 9WT

I have some done some searching here and google with no clear consensus. I need to throw big musky flies with a St Croix Legend Ultra 9WT. A small fly is 4" and 8"is large enough. They are not real heavy for their size, but they will definitely catch some big air. If you have ever lined up this rod from size 8-10 please chime in. It's OK if it takes more than one attempt, but I'd sure like to avoid buying 5 quality lines. I'd like to throw big flies over 50FT when I need to.

I am looking for a grain weight recommendations. Brand choices can come later.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:09 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Selecting line for a St Croix Legend Ultra 9WT

Here is the AFTMA Grain weight table for reference:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:14 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
Here is the AFTMA Grain weight table for reference:

Click the image to open in full size.
Those numbers are much lighter than most big fly guys use. Probably fine for a modest sized fly. 350-400 seems to be the range I may need. Just hoping somebody with experience on my new rod will have advice.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:27 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

That or a super weight forward line.