The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 01:40 PM

mikey_boots is on a distinguished road
Default Parachute vs Traditional

I'm sure it's been asked here before, but my searching skills seem to be awful today. I'm realize that parachute flies sit lower on the water, but my question is why/when should you use one style vs the other?
Old 02-08-2014, 02:19 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Parachute vs Traditional

I don't think there is any "right" time for fishing 'chutes over traditionals, or vice versa. It's more a personal preference for the majority of the guys that I fish with, as some of them prefer parachute patterns because of its enhanced visibility over the same pattern in a traditional tie. It's amazing how quickly the eye can pick up the white or hi-vis posts commonly used on most parachutes.

Personally, I tie about 4 parachutes these days for every one traditional fly I wrap. I've long been partial to parachute patterns just because of their visibility and their versatility. If you're fishing parachutes and find yourself in need of a nymph in that same pattern, a few snips with the scissors and a pinch of weight suddenly puts you back into business. I have a whole box of "nymphs" that began life as dry-fly parachute patterns.

As for the fish? They don't really care, so long as the fly looks "buggy," just as trout could care less about how much you spent on a given rod or reel. It's all about how well you can cast the rod you're holding, and how natural your presentation of the fly appears in a trout's window...
mikey_boots likes this.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:28 PM

Thanks! That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I'll have to try tying up a few and see for myself. I appreciate it. I notice a lot of the patterns use calf's hair for the posts. I can't seem come by any locally. Is there a noticeable difference in using a synthetic substitute?
Old 02-08-2014, 04:38 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

I like a high vis synthetic post for my parachutes. Dont know if its true or not but I feel like the synthetic sheds water better than calf tail
mikey_boots likes this.

- Tyler

Old 02-08-2014, 06:58 PM

rapman is on a distinguished road

I think the parachutes are more versatile as they can also resemble emergers, spinners and cripples too.

Not sure the trout agree, but that's my story...

I agree about the visibility advantage of parachutes too. I usually tie mine with a fluorescent yellow poly post that almost glows in low light and is easy to see in the foam during the day.
lightline and mikey_boots like this.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:23 PM

idafish is on a distinguished road

I use more thorax type flies because they are easier for me to tie. They sit low on the water like the parachute flies but are faster for me to tie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
mikey_boots likes this.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:41 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapman View Post
I think the parachutes are more versatile as they can also resemble emergers, spinners and cripples too.

Not sure the trout agree, but that's my story...

I agree about the visibility advantage of parachutes too. I usually tie mine with a fluorescent yellow poly post that almost glows in low light and is easy to see in the foam during the day.
Whether it looks more like an emerger or a cripple, it sits low in the film either way, which (I think) tells the fish it's likely to be easier prey than one with the body already free of the water surface. So I think parachutes are not only easier for us to see because of the wing post, but also more alluring to the fish, than a traditional tie.
lightline and mikey_boots like this.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:51 PM

It's all starting to make more sense now. Thanks guys, for the replies.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:53 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Another attribute of parachute patterns is they'll always lay proper. Traditional patterns have more of a chance of landing on their side then sitting up proper.
rapman and fly_guy12955 like this.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:16 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I tied a passable parachute,,it'll do...but I've wondered if the gallows thing you can get for your vise that hold your post up snug vertically really helps a lot? I'd bout get one for my Regal if I thought it really made things easier.

mike