The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 07:10 PM

Location: Port Washington, WI (fish areas around grafton and plymouth)
pikefisher69 has a spectacular aura aboutpikefisher69 has a spectacular aura about
Default What's Your Preferred Method of Fishing?

This is just out of curiosity. What is your preferred method of fly fishing? Is it fly fishing with dries? Using nymphs? or perhaps streamers? My preferred methods have to be all topwater. In Wisconsin, I primarily will use dry flies for trout. I love catching them that way, nothing beats it. I will always currently rig up with a dry fly, unless something changes for me. I usually use nymphs if I'm getting skunked, and those don't work to well for me sometimes either. And as for warm water species, nothing beats using a popper.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's Your Preferred Method of Fishing?

I don't really have a preferred method, I just like to fly fish and will let the river tell me what to do, I'll fish with nymphs, dries, emergers, wets and streamers.....what is happening on the river at that particular moment and I will rig up accordingly.

Larry

Old 02-11-2014, 07:28 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Like Larry, I let the river tell me what to do. I'm not to proud to throw on a tiny nymph and some split shot if that's the only way to catch a fish. Sight fishing to carp has to be my absolute favorite though.

Chase
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:52 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I'll always prefer to fish a topwater, because I enjoy that the most. But as others said I'll go with whatever works. I admit I'm not proficient with dry flies, and more often would choose floating terrestrials over the classic style dry flies.

In order of preference for me, I would go with the topwater terrestrials first, then streamers, nymphs & other smaller sinking flies 3rd, then classic type dry flies last.
mcnerney likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-11-2014, 07:54 PM

kicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
I don't really have a preferred method, I just like to fly fish and will let the river tell me what to do, I'll fish with nymphs, dries, emergers, wets and streamers.....what is happening on the river at that particular moment and I will rig up accordingly.

Larry
EXACTLY. sometimes the hardest part is trying to figure out what the fish have an appetite for
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:11 PM

bocast is on a distinguished road

Cast of three wet flies, no indicator, fished up, across and/or down....

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:21 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

95% time a 2hander, the 7wt Sage XP gets the rest.

fae
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:23 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

What Larry said.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:26 PM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: What's Your Preferred Method of Fishing?

As mcnerney said,well put.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:04 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

I'll try a variety of flies and styles based on what worked on similar water conditions before. If you are observant, and persistent, you get " lucky ".
Like Bubba says, "I like to fish with that fly that's catching fish right now . It's my favorite today ".