The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 10:29 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future
Default Awesome news today

The lead story on my local news today ?
We are getting a Cabelas ! I am so stoked !
The closest Cabelas are in Boise, 5 hours away, or Lehi, Utah, 4 hours away. Life is good
Old 02-14-2014, 10:02 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Awesome news today

Good deal!

It's the closest thing I have here in Kansas for a fly shop.

One thing I have noticed is to be careful with their prices. Cabelas does not always price well. (used firearms in particular). It pays to price shop a bit ahead of time especially for things you an easily pick up elsewhere.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:11 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Congrats! Cabelas isn't always the cheapest but neither are most of the big box stores. The good news is that they are pretty darn happy to price match. Get yourself the Red Laser app on whatever smart phone you have (assuming you have one) and use it!! Not just for fishing stuff either...
mcnerney and ts47 like this.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:51 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Awesome deal! Cabelas is a great store overall. Their line of gear is usually top notch and can run with the bigger brand names that you'll pay 3x as much for. Not to mention their warranty and customer service is good too.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:18 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

FFFM.....you need venture a wee bit further south than cabelas ... no there is nothing wrong with our cabelas!!!!... BUT ... we have an incredible independent store with K&K Flyfishers just off 87th st about 2 miles east of I35. It's wonderful!!!!!
mcnerney and christianfishn like this.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:20 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I was shopping in our Boise Cabela's when they were first open, and before their big "Grand" opening. There were store employees and asst mgrs. and mgrs. hip deep. I grabbed a pair of those guys and pointed out a mispriced case of 20 Ga shotgun shells. They asked if I wanted them and I said I'd buy a case of 16 Ga if I could get that price. He sold me the 16's at the lower price, and dispatched one of his minions to carry the case up front and put my name on it so I could keep shopping. Neat,Huh? Then, during the grand opening, I bought a tying vise, got it home and discovered it was not what I'd thought I was getting-The display models were mismarked-I asked the dept guy, who checked with his boss and I got the better vise at the lower (mismarked) price.
The next trip into the store I dropped over $200. on boots etc. Oh well. Still love the Outfitter series boots.
Still often use the free shipping to the store since I'm only about 10 min away.

Also shop lots in the Bargain Cave.
Flywgn and mcnerney like this.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

Last edited by JoJer; 02-15-2014 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Addendum
Old 02-15-2014, 05:21 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light

We were supposed to get one in erie, but the land they were going to put it on, they wanted to buy it and the landowner only wanted to lease it. So cabelas said see ya.

In the end were getting a field and stream in the same exact spot and they're leasing the land. Guess field and stream is as good as cabelas. Only problem is I have a cabelas credit card!

Ryan
Old 02-15-2014, 08:57 PM

eddie789 has a spectacular aura abouteddie789 has a spectacular aura abouteddie789 has a spectacular aura about

Nice! I like some of their prices. Some are good and some are ok. I like the price match feature they do. I can't complain with their customer service either!
Old 02-15-2014, 10:19 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

We have a gigantic Cabelas here in Hamburg, PA. About 1 1/2 hours away. We also have a Bass Pro Shop in Harrisburg, about 1/2 hour away.

I love the Cabelas the best! Lots of fish tanks, and a nice restaurant in the store.

Great prices and great stuff in both stores ...... but I still spend most of my money shopping Orvis online! Except my Scadden "Outlaw Escape" I got that wonderful 'toon at Cabelas!

As soon as this snow melts, I'll make a trip to the Cabelas in Hamburg!
Old 02-17-2014, 12:24 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I'm pretty much geared-up these days. Five or six years ago I was buying gear or at least ammo every year. Back then I had a decided preference for Sportsman's Warehouse. They were much more generous with stuff for our youth hunt group. I still start there when I price a purchase.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey