The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 11:30 AM

bear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fishpond Nomad Nets

They do look like a nice net, that long handle would come in handy as long as it didn't get in the way
Old 02-17-2014, 02:59 PM

tex will become famous soon enough

I have the hand net, but I bought mine before Fishpond bought them out. Absolutely wonderful, plus its a beauty to look at!
craigthor likes this.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:30 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I am modern in my rods and reels but old fashioned in my net; a hand made Catskill Beavertail design with a hand knotted soft cord net bag. However, I am growing to fancy the rugged, floatable, light weight, clear plastic net bag Fishpond Nomad for my Montana drift boat fishing...so the long handled version is on my wish list.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:44 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Bigfly and William: I have been interested in that 37" mid-length model since I first saw the Nomad nets. My issue with using a net while wade fishing has always been how much I have to extend to try to net a fish; rod arm outstretched as far behind the head as possible, netting arm reaching out in front as far as possible, all the while trying not to tip over with rocks poking into the one knee I'm planted on. It is quite the core workout.

Aside from the yoga-esque movement, this is act puts more strain on your rod than any other action. Most likely you have your rod pointed back and up, away from the fish. This puts incredible strain on the tip of your rod, bending it close to 180* if not to it. Most rods break at the tip and when they are over stressed like this action. Think about it, you would never truly double your rod tip back on purpose while fighting a fish...and if you saw someone do it you'd say, "look at that yayhoo, he's gonna bust his rod."

Diatribe aside: do you guys with experience with this net find it suitable for wade fishing? William, I have often thought that it could work stuck into a wading belt. I am a short guy, 5'7" and I really wish I could hold one of these nets to see how it would "fit" me.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:49 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I love the benefits of a longer handle even when stream wading. As the gent pointed out, you do not have to point your rod way backwards,,,you can actually move the tip 'into' your net zone with a longer handle. I just stick mine in my belt behind my back,,handle downward, kinda like an Indian would wear his tomahawk. Works for me.
dean_mt and craigthor like this.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:46 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Dean, recommend the mid-length handle....and a locking retractor.
All I do is wade fish, and hate battling bushes.
The Nomad fits me fine, at 5'9 and a scraggly 165.
Several friends just stuff them in the belt. I want to keep mine......

I do not/never lift a fish!
Not so worried about breaking my rod.......can get another....
Just hate fish getting away.
Small hooks in a large mouth, and pointed straight up is a recipe for bad stats.
Low angle pull loses fewer fish......of course I run with them too......

Jim
dean_mt likes this.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:13 PM

FKernan is on a distinguished road

Are these nets heavy?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2014, 08:21 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKernan View Post
Are these nets heavy?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
mid length is .88 lbs
Old 02-23-2014, 01:19 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I picked up one of the larger steelhead nets today and it's heavier than my Brodin of the same length and basket - both ghost nets - that's for sure. Nice net. But it's not super light.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:39 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Got my mid length from the brown Santa today, really glad I waited for them to get more in stock since I took advantage of a Feather Craft special.