The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 01:48 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: TFO 10wts?

Hi William, I have no idea about the 10wt rod but I did build a TFO Pro. It was a 9' 5wt, I like the rod and gave it to my brother. The label comes off with denatured alcohol as it is not covered with a finish.

I have an 8wt Deer Creek Switch I am getting ready to start on two. I think TFO is tough to beat for buck, specially for a blank. You can make it into a pretty nice rod.

williamhj likes this.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:25 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! The Pro is the first I was looking at, at $80 I couldn't believe the blank price. Wasn't sure how it would be in the upper weights but glad to know the 5wt was a sweet rod. For that price it'll be on my radar for sure.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:38 PM

joshw is on a distinguished road

Fished the TICR 10 wt for muskies with a cortland type 6 full sink line for a couple seasons. The rod cast very well and had lots of lifting power.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:05 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

[/COLOR]I really like my BVK 10 wt ! But with that being said I had the opportunity to cast the Mangrove at the Somersett Show ! It was really nice! I can't attest to its fish fighting ability but it casts bullets!

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

And the TFO rep who gave me the test run was Blane Chocklett a Virginia Musky Guide and he loves the Mangrove!
williamhj likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-17-2014, 06:05 PM

paflyfisher is on a distinguished road

I fish a ten wt bvk that i fish saltwater and muskys for I really like it. I cast a 450 grain on it no problem and it handles large flies well.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:24 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Heres a few fish taken on my TFO Professional 10wt. It is a great rod and easy to cast. it handles hard pulling fish with good fighting techniques. But I was a bit frustrated throwing depth charge lines and massive flies for musky. Its got too slow of flex for real heavy work.

Click the image to open in full size.
dean_mt, williamhj, theboz and 2 others like this.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:18 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic feedback. Thanks! jbird I like those fish! I appreciate your comments on the pro. The price is very tempting but I think it'll be worth spending a bit more given the size of the flies I'll be throwing.

Paflyfisher, thanks for the comments on the BVK. I'm sure most are fine but the reports of breakage are a bit too much risk for me to take. Had that happen once due to a faulty blank and it was annoying to rewrap the thing not to mention not having the rod for awhile.

Josh and Boz, I think Mangrove and TiCrX are my shortlist. Do you now if there's much difference between the TiCr and the TiCrX? I see both blanks for sale on their site but don't see finished TiCr rods listed. Has anyone cast both in a given length / weight?

Thanks again for the info.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:31 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

The TiCr's are broom sticks. They are extremely fast rods. Maybe the stiffest rod Ive ever wiggled. I bought one years ago and traded it back in immediately for a TiCrx. Almost the same taper but theres more whip in the tip. Much more user friendly rod. they are a bit heavy tho. I have a TiCrx 8wt and 12wt. Theyre good rods. If you can find a Mangrove blank, I believe of the whole TFO lineup, this is the best suited for Musky work.
williamhj likes this.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:54 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

I have a 9wt Professional that I use for salmon. I really like it and have caught fish up to 25 lbs. on it.
williamhj and ia_trouter like this.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:32 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

You might want to look at Colton rods. Call the guy and talk with him. I have 2 and I like them a lot. I have never tried to cast 12" flies however. They do have lots of backbone.