The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 09:01 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TFO 10wts?

Thanks for the feedback on the Professional Mike. May have to keep it in mind, especially since I want to spend some money on a fiberglass blank

Ditz, I'd never heard to Colton Rods, intersting to check out their site. However I don't see that they sell blanks but only completed rods, unless I missed it on their site. So it is a no-go for me.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:18 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

I live in Dallas, and almost pulled the trigger on a Mangrove recently, but held off as my rooster fishing (roosterfishing? Roosterfish-ing?) was cancelled and we only went offshore. The guys at my local shop highly recommended it as the best 10 wt. tfo has ever made.

Went by the TFO warehouse about a week ago, and the guys there said the same thing. Best all-around TFO 10 wt, great casting and lots of lifting power.

Echo what was said about the BVK, love the rod but not for the big fish
williamhj likes this.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:47 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Having cast every model that TFO makes, and owning about half of them, I HIGHLY recommend the Axiom for the type of fishing you plan. If I were to have to pick only one stick.....of any price and/or brand .......to cast the proverbial country mile, it would be the Axiom rod. The TiCrX can be a rocket launcher in the right hands, and will handle flies way out of proportion to its stated weight. One draw back, the TiCrX and Axiom are both heavy in the hand. The BVK is feather light.
williamhj likes this.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:27 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the feedback thewalker and homer. Homer, have you cast the Mangrove? I'll look into the Axiom, don't think I was looking at it since the shop I was looking on was out of it in 10wts, but I'd imagine I can find a blank elsewhere.