The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 10:35 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default TFO 10wts?

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with TFO 10wt rods? Will be for musky fishing. I'll be building the rod from a blank, but am interested in how 10 wts cast, particularly with sinking lines and big flies. I'm looking at the Professional Series (great price), TiCr X, TiCr, and BVK. From what I read on their site the TiCr X seems the best candidate but hope to hear from folks who have tried the rods.

I've not built a TFO because they come with that HUGE decal already on them, but figure they offer some 10 wt options for around $100 so might be time to give them a try.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:49 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: TFO 10wts?

I have one of the earlier TFO 10 wts in the Lefty Kreh Signature series & IMO it casts big flies just fine, with sinking or floating lines. I don't cast more than about 70-80ft, and usually less, but it does a good job in that range. Generally, the flies I'm tossing are 4" to 6" in length, and some are bulky, which affects the casting, but still works fine for the fishing I do.

I would have to go look at the rod to see exactly which model it is, if that would help you any.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-15-2014, 12:51 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Go with the Mangrove for a musky stick
Old 02-15-2014, 01:20 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Do some searching and you should find lots of comments on the BVK 10WT. Those that have them hold them in high regards as long as the stick doesn't break for unexplained reasons. Never owned one, but seriously considered them. If I could get one built for $100, I'd take a chance. The others you mention have some fans on this forum too.

Last edited by ia_trouter; 02-15-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:23 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the feedback so far! I've heard good things about TFO rods but a lot of the reviews I seen have been for lower weights. I did some digging for the BVK 10wt and am finding some write ups, which is helpful. Not sure how much 'lifting' factors into musky fishing, but I do notice the BVK is rated lower than others. Drawn more to the TiCr X as I read.

p.s. unfortunately I don't see the Mangrove blanks for sale.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:29 AM

jwide is on a distinguished road

They only received the Mangrove blanks a week or two ago. Contact them through their web page.
Jim
Old 02-16-2014, 08:36 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

I love the Mangrove for sure and have 6, 7, 8 for me and both sons have these in 8. We love them as we mostly wade and tube float thus can only take one rod. In my experience it qualifies as the best "one size fits all" in affordable rods. However 80' is a good long cast for them. When the winds right and the fly the right size I can go farther. Fine rods but not distance cannons.

I had BVKs, good casters but had a buddy break one trying to get a not so large red out of the weeds. IMHO he wasn't doing something out of the ordinary. Sure TFO's superb warranty replaced is lickty split, but it ruined his day at 7:15 in the morning. So for me they aren't the rods for heavy flies, sinking lines, snags, yankin' fish from cover, ie muskie's with a bad attitude.

However for big flies and sinking lines you might consider the TiCrX as it will toss sinking line's a mile. It is brutally strong and fast. Do give up control/accuracy at 20-30' casts but that's typically the realm of sinking line fishing.

Their blanks are very reasonable from MudHole.com

Pete A.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the feedback jwide and Pete. Was actually looking through Mudhole's catalog late last night and saw the Mangrove blanks for sale. Still aren't up on their site but are for sale.

I appreciate the side-by-side comparison of some of the models. Warranties are great but yes, a broken rod will ruin the day and if I do it from a blank it is a real pain. Between what you and ia-trouter said that takes the BVK off the table. TiCrX is still top of the list.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:06 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I've not built a TFO because they come with that HUGE decal already on them
Those decals aren't especially difficult to get off. Just scrape with a razor blade held at a 90 angle. Then cover the scraped area with rod finish.

Do it carefully so you just scrape off the decal and finish, not the resin.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:00 PM

That's good to know, haven't seen them in person so didn't know if it is printed directly on the blank or under a clear coat etc. I'm not against having a decal on the rod, it is just that theirs are so big.