The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 08:50 PM

forthelove will become famous soon enough
Default Resume for a Fly Shop questions??

So im toying with the idea of getting a part time job at a fly shop outside of Denver for the summer. It being my only job would give me the opportunity to do a lot of fly fishing all around Colorado and beyond for the summer. I need help as this will be my first time trying to work at a fly shop what are good things to include in a resume?? and should I attach pictures of flies I have tied?? any tips would be greatly appreciated. I would love the opportunity to work at a respected fly shop and learn as much as possible. thanks again.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:29 PM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice
Default Re: Resume for a Fly Shop questions??

While knowledge of gear, flies, etc are important, convincing the owner that you're the most 'kick-ass' retail salesperson he's ever seen would go a long way.....
Old 02-15-2014, 09:54 PM

bmxrider11976 will become famous soon enoughbmxrider11976 will become famous soon enough

Proving yourself as a people person would be paramount in my opinion. You definitely have to know your gear and know how to use it. I would add things in your resume like TU membership, if you're a member, as well as any conservation work you have done, if any. If you have any experience in retail let that be known as well. I think knowledge of the area will be pretty important too, so study up.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.

Making the best of New Jersey, one fish at a time!
Old 02-16-2014, 12:23 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Both previous replies are good stuff, but beyond that; who do you know? I mean do you have any network friends who know anyone at the shop? Are you a customer? If you are a customer use that to your advantage.

Work history is important, showing dependability is on top of the list. Fly shops, while they need people who know their way around the gear and sales, need dependable people. I used to have a business that hired a lot of people. Experience was good but being dependable was my number one criteria when I was hiring or evaluating people.
mcnerney, fredaevans and ted4887 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-16-2014, 08:11 AM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

If you can get an interview your personality will help them assess your ability to sell. But Ard is right. Dependability of your employees is everything. It is very stressful for any supervisor or business owner if he has to wonder each morning if the help is actually going to show up on time, or at all. Convince your prospective employer that you will find a way to be there when the car won't start or you don't feel too well.
mcnerney, fredaevans and craigthor like this.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:28 AM

forthelove will become famous soon enough

Hey guys thanks for all the input. being at work and on time is definitely a value I hold with a high standard to myself. I have in the past spent a few summers as a river guide I loved whitewater but couldn't stand the rafting community. I did however love taking family's and kids down the river and loved communicating with them so being a people person is not a problem at all im very communicable and positive. I just really want to get a feel for a good fly shop, work hard, learn as much as possible and meet some great local fishing peeps. Thanks again guys keep the suggestions coming I appreciate all of them
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:14 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

I don't think you'd need pictures of flies you have tied. You are't applying for a tying job.
Include the things on your resume you would want to see, if you were doing the hiring. What traits, skills and expetience would you be looking for ?
If you get an interview :
Learn all you can from knowledgeable fishermen in the area who fish waters that you don't. What works where, what sort of rod and reel recommdations and lines to offer. Broad knowledge of the area, being warm and outgoing, matching the style of service in that shop, and above all, product knowledge.
If you don't know it, you can't sell it. Be relaxed, confident, and be yourself. Good Luck !
Old 02-16-2014, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

If you are in Maine now why not call the shop and start doing some ice breaking?
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-17-2014, 06:43 AM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthelove View Post
Hey guys thanks for all the input. being at work and on time is definitely a value I hold with a high standard to myself. I have in the past spent a few summers as a river guide I loved whitewater but couldn't stand the rafting community. I did however love taking family's and kids down the river and loved communicating with them so being a people person is not a problem at all im very communicable and positive. I just really want to get a feel for a good fly shop, work hard, learn as much as possible and meet some great local fishing peeps. Thanks again guys keep the suggestions coming I appreciate all of them
all of your previous experience you listed here would be a big plus, just re-phase "couldn't stand the rafting community" into something more positive/less negative as every business encounters those "butt heads" and you just have to deal with 'em and get 'em out the door.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:30 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

From a guy who owned, partnered in and managed fly shops and fly travel interests for most of his adult life. So know this going in, these are traits and tips I looked for. YMMV.

You’re not trying to get a job at a discount appliance store or a used car lot. So don’t try to convince ( me ) the fly shop owner that you are a Kick A salesmen. ( if you pulled that with me, you’d have been treated politely and while I would‘ve spent more time talking with you, that would’ve signaled the end of our interview.)
As a fly shop employee, you are there to offer guidance and support in an open friendly environment. We can’t compete on price ( so the low down, no down, no payments 'til June - sales attitude won't fly ).
Maintaining and growing our customer base is job 1. Those customers must have confidence in our integrity.
Curb the ego. Its never about our fishing conquests, but theirs. It’s about their wants, their dreams and making it happen for them.

If you have no previous fly retail experience, your day to day job description will likely include performing tasks like checking in and pricing product, stocking shelves, vacuuming, sweeping, cleaning counters, dusting, emptying trash cans, taking lunch orders, making coffee, learning how the owner or his designate want outfits rigged for varying applications, observing and learning from more experienced staffers how to address and serve our customers. Helping customers who don’t need technical support, in locating products throughout the store…and other related duties. If you do that for twenty to thirty hours a week for three months, you might be ready to work the floor, the following summer.

I never asked for a resume. References and personal interaction are all that mattered. If you want a position in retail, I needed to know that you have strong verbal skills and the ability to greet complete strangers in a polite, courteous and relaxed manner.
If that sounds like you, then continue on.

Physical presentation counts as well. Some shops are good with the frumpy wrinkled tee shirt, unshaven, tobacco chewin’, ball caps indoors look. Others want a crisp, groomed, professional, causal Fridays, pressed slacks and collared shirt look.
Before you go marching in to meet a shop owner / manager, it might be a good idea to at least do a drive by with a glimpse in the window to see how the crew present themselves. Would you rather have a potential employer suggest that you could dress down a bit, or wonder to themselves, if you own a razor and a shirt with a collar?

What you would have needed to convince me of, is not that you have an interest in fly fishing. Almost everyone that ever walked through my doors had that.
You need to convince me that my time and effort in training you is in preparation for something related to this field. ( sales rep, shop owner, manager, lead, travel coordinator, marketing / merchandising or that you’ll be available to us each summer for temp work or you‘ll be relocating and looking for a fulltime gig with us or possibly looking for part time work with us if you’re accepted at a local university. )
My attitude was that our fly shop and efforts are of value to the right candidate and not there to serve as a more entertaining version of a summer job at the Sportsmart or McDonalds.

If it’s fly guiding you’re interested in, there are fly guide training programs and some of the larger outfitters ramp up their guide roosters for their peak season.

Good Luck, TT

Last edited by trout trekker; 02-17-2014 at 06:26 PM.