The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 02:15 PM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Waders

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
Well, that may be true, but I hear that Simms waders are made by child slave labor in ice pits in North Korea. Could be just a rumor, but that is the word on the street.
Not the G4's, they are made in the USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblueco1 View Post
That's hilarious. Also, there is NO way to get into a set off G4's for less than $500............The fact that they get away charging $800 for waders is ridiculous!
You gotta do your research my friend, $800 for a pair of waders with lifetime warranty is not so steep. After having a few different makes and models of waders tested the Simms are by far the leader in this category. Knowing what I know now and how well made they are and their reliability I would save my pennies and spend more to get the Simms.

I have fallen, and worn them for long periods of time sat in places waders shouldn't go and they take a beating and honestly they were worth every penny.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:07 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Well, that may be true, but I hear that Simms waders are made by child slave labor in ice pits in North Korea. Could be just a rumor, but that is the word on the street.
all the Simms waders are made about 1 mile from here....
Old 02-19-2014, 01:57 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

In last year's tests the G3 outperformed the G4 ( 2013 Wader Shootout - Yellowstone Angler ). A bit cheaper in price.

I own a pair of Dan Bailey's EZ-Zip Guide waders and love them, but they are as pricey as the Simms.

Kelly.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:15 PM

gfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the rough

Well, just so you know, according to the label in my waders, Redington waders are made by attractive Amish women in Pennsylvania, after they put their children to bed. According to the label "These waders are made with three-layers of breathable fabric and 78% of the women making them are blue-eyed and have blonde hair." You can spend all that money on Simms waders if you want, but I know where my money is going.
craigthor likes this.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:49 PM

goblueco1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
In last year's tests the G3 outperformed the G4 ( 2013 Wader Shootout - Yellowstone Angler ). A bit cheaper in price.

I own a pair of Dan Bailey's EZ-Zip Guide waders and love them, but they are as pricey as the Simms.

Kelly.
I read through that shootout last night and found the results to be extremely interesting. Most of those 'unbiased shootouts' seem to be awfully biased however, this one most certainly was not biased as the results actually showed a mid-priced wader as the overall winner. Needless to say the G3 is on my short list of waders to look at.

Quote:
Well, just so you know, according to the label in my waders, Redington waders are made by attractive Amish women in Pennsylvania, after they put their children to bed. According to the label "These waders are made with three-layers of breathable fabric and 78% of the women making them are blue-eyed and have blonde hair." You can spend all that money on Simms waders if you want, but I know where my money is going.
Redington is a great company with many great products. One of my good friends is sponsored through them and solely uses their waders, boots, rods and reels and I haven't met a piece of equipment of theirs I did not like. Additionally, my friend is extremely and I mean extremely hard on his gear and was surprised to learn that he is on his original set of Redington waders that are going on 3 years old. Keep in mind that this guy also fishes probably 200+ days per year; pretty damn impressive!

Anyways, I am actually eagerly awaiting the arrival of their 2014 Super Dry Series Waders as they look like it has all of the features I am looking for and at a sub $400 price tag to boot.

It seems that the Redington Super Dry and Simms G3 are what I need to decide between as I was not impressed with Orvis, Cabela's or Patagonia.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:55 PM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Waders

Simms waders are the best,they set the standard which other waders are judged.period.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:00 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

So I am going to impress you with my remarkable grasp of the obvious. If your friend is sponsored can he get you a deal? When I was in the golf industry my buddies got loaded up with good deals if not freebies.

I love my Simms but a pair of Reddingtons at a pro discount type of price would sway my opinion.

Obviously it might be awkward to ask or the vendor isn't real liberal with their pro gear discounts. Just throwing it out there.
craigthor likes this.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:46 PM

gfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the rough

Well, winstonwt, I'm impressed with how you used humor to make your point. Nothing absolutist about a statement like that. You know, leaving room for other people to have an opinion and so on. But since you made that point about Simms waders, I thought I would quote from Lefty Kreh's book "My Life Was This Big: And Other True Fishing Tales " on page 74, where he says "I'll never use Simms waders again. They make my crotch itch. One day of fishing in those waders and I had testicles like grapefruits..." And that's all I have to say about that. Period. End of story. Finito. End of the line. Terminal diagnosis.
goblueco1 likes this.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:47 AM

goblueco1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
So I am going to impress you with my remarkable grasp of the obvious. If your friend is sponsored can he get you a deal? When I was in the golf industry my buddies got loaded up with good deals if not freebies.

I love my Simms but a pair of Reddingtons at a pro discount type of price would sway my opinion.

Obviously it might be awkward to ask or the vendor isn't real liberal with their pro gear discounts. Just throwing it out there.
He can get pro deals on just about everything, Simms included. It's not a matter of what I can get the best deal on, I am of the mindset to buy something that is quality so that you don't have to continually replace or upgrade. I made the mistake of allowing a good deal influence the purchase of the Wright & McGill waders and have been less than impressed.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:38 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblueco1 View Post
He can get pro deals on just about everything, Simms included. It's not a matter of what I can get the best deal on, I am of the mindset to buy something that is quality so that you don't have to continually replace or upgrade. I made the mistake of allowing a good deal influence the purchase of the Wright & McGill waders and have been less than impressed.
Ah gotcha that makes sense.

I agree I wouldn't buy garbage just because of a discount. Two products relatively on par with each other a discount would be a deciding factor.

I feel your pain, I spent $300 on two cheaper pair of waders and boots that didn't work real well and didn't last long. So my endeavor to save money ultimately cost me more.