The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 07:43 PM

goblueco1 will become famous soon enough
Default Waders

So I am in the market for a new pair of waders. For the last 3 years I have worn the Wright & McGill waders and although their lifetime warranty is attractive and the recent redesign of the waders themselves made them slightly more comfortable I feel that at any given moment they could tear.

Before I start this tedious shopping experience I am looking for opinions on waders that are at or under the $500 mark and comes with a lifetime warranty. I have no brand loyalty and would even be open to a slightly used pair or last years model to save money.

Should you have any questions please feel free to ask away and thanks in advance for your help.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:10 PM

gfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Waders

I just bought a pair of Redington's Sonic Pro pant-length waders, for $174 (they had originally been $250). I got them as summer waders. These are very well reviewed, comfortable and light, and use the Orvis sonic welding technique on license (or so I understand). Redington is coming out with a new series this year, and the original waders are being marked down. They are a three layer breathable wader with neoprene booties. My bib waders are Redington too and I have had nothing but good luck with them. I just got them and I haven't fished them (it not being summer yet) but they are quite comfortable.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:43 PM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about

I have Simms G4's and they are by far the best waders I have ever had! I will most definitely buy the same waders again if need be. The warranty is great and Simms stands behind their product.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:03 PM

gfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the rough

Well, that may be true, but I hear that Simms waders are made by child slave labor in ice pits in North Korea. Could be just a rumor, but that is the word on the street.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:04 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1move View Post
I have Simms G4's and they are by far the best waders I have ever had! I will most definitely buy the same waders again if need be. The warranty is great and Simms stands behind their product.
ditto, I got the G4Z on closeout so I hit your sub $500 mark. I gotta say the zipper is awesome for taking on and off the waders. Also for that "one to many cup of coffee moments".

They are great for staying warm in the winter in Colorado. My buddy swears by his G3 convertibles and I see them more regularly on closeout. I almost grabbed a set at the fly show then realized I had no spare scratch.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:10 PM

goblueco1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
Well, that may be true, but I hear that Simms waders are made by child slave labor in ice pits in North Korea. Could be just a rumor, but that is the word on the street.
That's hilarious. Also, there is NO way to get into a set off G4's for less than $500............The fact that they get away charging $800 for waders is ridiculous!
Old 02-17-2014, 09:19 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
And that's wrong why? It's the 'Murican way....
Old 02-17-2014, 10:38 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

There are good prices on Simms closeouts and redesign models right now. I just recently purchased the 2013 Guide Wader for $270 dee-livered, MSRP was $400. I believe the Headwaters and the Convertibles from last year are on sale as well, sizes may be difficult to find though. PM me if you want some shop info. milt
Old 02-17-2014, 11:08 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Like Milt I like my Simms Guide series . Best waders I've ever owned. ! Got mine at a very good price and there are ways to get them cheaper just got to do a little scouting around!
milt spawn likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-17-2014, 11:42 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I have the Orvis Sonic waders, light, durable and easy to wash. The new model will come with the zipper and hand warmer too.