The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 11:37 AM

shields08 is on a distinguished road
Default Questions From a Beginner

I have a trip planned for 3 days to fish the tail waters of the Toccoa river in mid August.
I will be fly fishing, but I am a beginner. I have not even purchased a rod or reel. I have however done tons of research on the area, fly fishing equipment, and techniques. So I understand the basics but thats about it.
Having been a tournament bass angler for a few years now, I understand how serious this sport is and how important it is to have the right equipment for the task at hand.
That being said, I am trying to decide what size Rod & reel, fly line, leader, tippet, and lure to use on my trip.
I don't plan to fly fish much, maybe one trip a year. I will probably target different areas each year with LARGER than average trout. Example: I hear that 16"-20" trout on the Toccoa are very common. With that in mind I will just let you all know what kind of setup I had in mind, and you all can tell me what you would change.
I was thinking for these large trout, a 5-6wt rod at 8'6"-9'. 5-6wt fly line, 3wt tapered leader, 3-4 wt tippet, and 12-16 flies? I originally thought I would use the Orvis Encounter 5wt combo, but I went to Bass Pro and picked up a few 5wt rods and they seem a little thin for such big fish. But I also don't have any experience with fly fishing so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:19 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all
Default Re: Questions From a Beginner

For trout, gear size tends to be much more dependent on fishing technique, environment, and conditions than on fish size.

You can easily land a 24" trout on a 2-wt if you're patient. And I've caught 4" brookies on an 8-wt when I forgot my intended rod at home.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:27 PM

pjcalla is on a distinguished road

Like Diamond said, how you are/will be fishing will dictate the rod. I know nothing about the river you mentioned, but I would say either a 5 or 6 wt. will be fine. You match the fly line to the rod, and you will probably use a 9', 5X tapered mono leader. As for flies, you will need to see what the fish are feeding on at the time you are fishing. You want to "match the hatch" so to speak. If you don't have a clue, a local fly shop will probably point you in the right direction.

You will also want to pick up some tippet material, again mono, spools of 3X - 5 or 6X should do you fine. Good luck, and welcome to the sport. I gave up all my spinning gear a few years ago and haven't looked back.

Oh, and don't worry about the diameter of the rod, they won't (knock on wood) break.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:40 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

We are talking the tailwaters under blue ridge lake in Ga?

i fished it with a 3wt rod and size 16 nymphs

good fishery but most of my fish were about 10"

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:41 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

The set-up you described is fine. You can use a 3X tapered leader and then go to a 4X or 5x tippet. I often use 4X to my first fly and 5X to the second. If conditions permit and water clarity isn't an issue, you can go heavier with your leader and tippet combo. No more than you are planning to fish, I think a 5WT rod is great and it is extremely versatile since you won't be buying a specialty rod for everything you do. I like the 9' for an all-around rod. I use one on bigger water and pretty small streams. It is also long enough for lots of nymphing situations.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:58 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the forum and the wacky world of flyfishing

I will touch on something that is infinitely more important than the fly gear you choose. Fly fishing is not something you can just grab a rod and go catch fish. There is a learning to curve to casting and more importantly, presentation. It can be a steep curve if you try to take it on without guidance. You can read tips til youre blue in the face but they aren't going to help you much in real life until you learn to feel a fly rod and what it can do.
Unfortunately, gear fishermen have an even steeper learning curve because you will want to use a flyrod like a spinning or baitcasting rod.

I don't want to discourage you because this is a wonderful way to fish, but you may consider getting a lesson or rent some dvd's and practice a lot before you go. Frustration can ruin a day on the river and flyfishing one day a year is guaranteed to do that.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:01 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
Welcome to the forum and the wacky world of flyfishing

I will touch on something that is infinitely more important than the fly gear you choose. Fly fishing is not something you can just grab a rod and go catch fish. There is a learning to curve to casting and more importantly, presentation. It can be a steep curve if you try to take it on without guidance. You can read tips til youre blue in the face but they aren't going to help you much in real life until you learn to feel a fly rod and what it can do.
Unfortunately, gear fishermen have an even steeper learning curve because you will want to use a flyrod like a spinning or baitcasting rod.

I don't want to discourage you because this is a wonderful way to fish, but you may consider getting a lesson or rent some dvd's and practice a lot before you go. Frustration can ruin a day on the river and flyfishing one day a year is guaranteed to do that.

or a guide, theres a place right at nora mills that does guiding for private stocked big dumb rainbows
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:29 PM

schaef is on a distinguished road

I've fished the Taccoa below blueridge lake last summer. I caught fish on a variety of nymphs and dries but the absolute trout slayer was a size 10 black woolybugger swung in the current.

One thing to know in that area is that when the dam is producing the flow gets real high real fast. You can check on line to see the release schedule for the dam so you can plan you fishing around it. If you are in the water and you see debris starting to kick up it’s time to get out of the water. Make sure you don’t get stuck on the wrong side of the river or you’ll be calling someone for a ride.
mcnerney and buddhist_palm like this.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:58 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

You say you are a tournament bass angler? I'd start right there. You should be able to easily locate modest bass. Fish for them on the fly. After you have that working find some moving water and fish for whatever resides there. There are a lot of small challenges that await you the first few times you fly fish. Get the little things out of the way before you head out on a vacation with a goal of 20" trout. I'm not saying what I suggest will yield large trout, but it would sure improve your odds of complete failure because you brought the wrong accessories, or have no experience casting and presenting a fly fishing around typical stream obstacles (both in and out of the water).

Read jbirds post again. Your vast spinning gear/baitcasting gear experience make it tougher on the fly when you begin.
mcnerney and jbird like this.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:15 PM

horsehead will become famous soon enoughhorsehead will become famous soon enough

It'd probably be comparably expensive and a lot less frustrating to just hire a guide if you're only going to do it once a year. If that's not your cup of tea, I'd agree with others who have said at least get some practice in between now and August. Take the fly rod on your bass boat and put down the traditional gear for 30 minutes to an hour each trip and you'll be much more prepared come time to go trout fishing.
jimp and jbird like this.