The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By watson
  • 1 Post By cochise
  • 1 Post By watson
  • 2 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 04:41 PM

coloradocaddis970 will become famous soon enough
Default Green River float trip '14

A few friends and myself are looking at doing a green river float for sections a,b, and c. What's the most productive time of the year. We're limited on a springy or a fall month trip. Planning on all 3 sections. What might be some of the costs associated with i.e. Shuttles camp costs permitting etc.? Any good stories, tactics, tricks, advice or wonder bugs that need Tying up before hand? We're getting stoked for it. It's actually my after wedding batchelor party.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:25 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green River float trip '14

I like to float the A section before Memorial Day and the tuber hatch, after that it gets kind of busy but the fish don't seem to mind. The wx in April and May can be a bit iffy, but if you watch the Salt Lake City wx than a day later is what you will have there at Dutch John. There is no camping on the A section, but there are some really pretty camp sites on the B section, so a float on the A section into the B section with a planned stop at one of the camp sites would be a great float. Sign up for one of the camp sites at the takeout for the A section (called Little Hole). The A Section is primarily Rainbows and Cutbows and the B section is primarily Brown Trout. If you have never floated the B section, that is where Red Creek rapids is located, it is a class III rapid, as you approach it you will hear the noise and there is a sign on the left, pull off and take a look at it before heading down, the entire center of the river is blocked with big boulders. The easiest route is on the left side, if you are a really experienced oarsman you can also go down on the right side, but the issue there is the rock wall and if you bang into that your will have no control over the boat. Shuttles on the A section was $40 for an individual shuttle or I think it was $25 for a ride in the van, pickup at 9 am at Little Hole. The shuttle for the B Section is $95, but it is a good 45 minute drive for the shuttle driver so they aren't gouging the public. I haven't floated the C section so I have no idea on the cost, check with Trout Creek Flies. There are a number of camp grounds in the Dutch John area but some of them lost all there shade trees in the big fire (I think that was in 1992). My favorite campground is up the hill, the fireman's memorial campground, it is on the left as you head up the hill past the dam.

Edit: Here is the link to the shuttle fees: http://www.troutcreekflies.net/shuttle-services

Larry
mtdigger434 likes this.

Last edited by mcnerney; 02-18-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:55 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

Larry pretty much touched upon the bulk of it.
Like he said check out Trout Creek Flies for shuttle details.

They also have hatch charts, rapid details and fishing reports for that matter.

Also a search on the forum will provide you will more details and information than you ever asked for.

Personally I feel the shuttle prices are a little steep but thatís just because I compare it with shuttles elsewhere. Camping on the river will cost ya as well, but having a group of you and/or multiple cars can easily diffuses the cost.

Depending on when ya go I guess would make all the difference in bugs, but it doesn't ever hurt to throw a streamer

And last but not least never take the river for granted, I have seen people hung up in some peculiar places on that river. A quick read over the rapid guide will give you an idea of what to expect.

Good luck!
Cheers,
Watson
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:57 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

B section rapids are crazy if your not a experienced oarsman. If they release water (late afternoon) it can be real bad trying to see the rocks just under the water. Killer float though! The shuttle from Dutch John is a long one though. I'd take Larry's advice, cause to get a good day on b and c you really need to have camp down there.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:23 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Watson is dead on about the rapids, but if you can handle your boat it shouldn't be an issue, just keep your head up and plan ahead and you should be fine. They lose boats on that river every year, but I think it is mainly not looking down river and planning ahead or just not knowing how to handle a boat. The first time I floated the B section I hired a guide to show me how to row through Red Creek Rapids, but if you stop at the top and take a good hard look at it you should have no problem. You didn't mention whether or not you have a raft or drift boat, but virtually all the drift boats on that river are high side drift boats, quite the opposite than most rivers I fish.

Larry

Old 02-19-2014, 07:06 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Do not neglect the guys at Flaming Gorge Lodge as well. They have a great shop, info, groceries and hotel...etc.

The green always fishes well...Wind may lay the hatch down but there is always a catchable population of fish.

The green is a technical fishery...it can fish easy and it can fish tough. Seen great anglers get caught up in minutia there and hook nothing and I have seen rookies that had the right fly on slay them but for the most part be prepared to match the hatch on the Great Green! When you do its a sick place to fish.

The scenery and camping on B are fab. C has far fewer fish and I would not go to c during the warmer months. But if its a transitional seasonal time than c can be ridiculous for larger browns.

Shuttles are expensive, the distances are fairly long and slow to the parking lots. Camp at dripping springs when you do the A section or a day float or hike on B. Camp on the river in section b if your camping...make sure to reserve your camp site....

add questions here...
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:39 AM
Administrator

+1 for Flaming Gorge Lodge, I have stayed in the motel a few times, nothing fancy but it is clean and comfy, especially during the fringe seasons, always great to be inside when it is snowing outside. The restaurant serves good food also.

Larry

Old 02-19-2014, 09:48 AM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

coloradocaddis970,
Another thing that comes to mind is to keep an eye on Red Creek, depending on seasonal flows or weather, it can completely blow out the second half of the B section all the way down into the C section.
This would likely just be an issue in the spring, but something to keep in mind.

Donít let my post intimidate you about the rapids, just like any river it is a powerful force of nature and if youíre not paying attention you could end up swimming.

The few people I have helped pull from the river have always had various reason to why they were swimming, never once was it because they were paying attention, planning ahead or looking down river.

Let us know when you end up going the likelyhood is we will have some updated info on river conditions and bugs. For that matter you may even find me on the river if it is in the next month or two.

Oh and by the way congratulations, great place to have a bachelor party!
Cheers!
Watson
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson View Post
The few people I have helped pull from the river have always had various reason to why they were swimming, never once was it because they were paying attention, planning ahead or looking down river.
Watson: That is so true and the essence of staying safe while rowing a boat on a river. Kind of reminds me of a time I stopped at the Reef Fly Shop to sign up for a shuttle on the Grey Reef of the North Platte. They rent drift boats and the people ahead of me were wanting to rent one, but the guy behind the counter told them that someone had sunk their rental boat the day before. Now this is on the Grey Reef, there are no rapids there and almost no place you can get in trouble, so I just had to ask how this happened. Turned out they hit one of the stanchions on Government Bridge and swamped the boat. Now I'm thinking, you can see that bridge from at least a quarter mile away, how and the heck can someone hit the bridge........unless of course they aren't paying attention and looking down river for obstacles.

Larry
watson and shortyb like this.