The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 10:58 PM

jtbgator is on a distinguished road
Default Thoughts on this combo?

Hi everyone, I've been in the market for a saltwater setup for a few weeks now and I've decided to purchase a barely used Rise Level series 8wt 4pc rod at a great price.

Rise Fishing Co. : Level Series Saltwater Fly Rods

I am seriously considering pairing it with the Orvis Mid Arbor IV in titanium.

Fly Fishing Reels / Access Mid-Arbor Reels -- Orvis

I fish Texas waters and would use this setup primarily for large stripers on Lake Texoma as well as reds and speckled trout on the coast. Possibly for carp as well. I'd like to also use this setup when I fish saltwater, targeting bones and other small saltwater species.

I will likely go with an 8wf line with 30 lb gel backing, which would give me roughly 250 yards.

Am I on the right track? Appreciate some feedback. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2014, 01:01 AM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Thoughts on this combo?

Huh, The Rise fishing company...Never heard of them. They are even in my old backyard of East Hampton NY....pretty cool.

Not much info on the site. Do they roll there own blanks??

They have a couple of great videos. One on the Davidson River in NC....which i love. Also snook fishing under the dock lights at night....which is one of my favorite things to do ever! Kind of gives me the buck fever...heart pounds...hard time swallowing......clouser along the shadow line...fish blows it up.......then, just when you thought you did everything just right....the old snook makes you look like a newbie again.

Not sure about the rod. Would need more info. Only when rod in hand.....i would then match and balance with the correct reel. To much of a **** shoot otherwise.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:05 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Thoughts on this combo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbgator View Post
Hi everyone, I've been in the market for a saltwater setup for a few weeks now and I've decided to purchase a barely used Rise Level series 8wt 4pc rod at a great price.

Rise Fishing Co. : Level Series Saltwater Fly Rods

I am seriously considering pairing it with the Orvis Mid Arbor IV in titanium.

Fly Fishing Reels / Access Mid-Arbor Reels -- Orvis

I fish Texas waters and would use this setup primarily for large stripers on Lake Texoma as well as reds and speckled trout on the coast. Possibly for carp as well. I'd like to also use this setup when I fish saltwater, targeting bones and other small saltwater species.

I will likely go with an 8wf line with 30 lb gel backing, which would give me roughly 250 yards.

Am I on the right track? Appreciate some feedback. Thanks!
I have not used a Rise myself but they have a good reputation. The Orvis Access is a great choice.

I would avoid the gel backing. Gel-spun can cut your fingers. 20 lb dacron is fine. You probably want at least 150 yd if you're going to use it for bonefish, but if you want 30 lb and a lot of backing, use Dacron and get the V reel rather than the IV. My dad was given the Battenkill Mid-Arbor (the previous version of what they now call the Access) in a V with 30 lb Dacron backing, paired with an 8 weight line, when he booked a week-long learn-to-bonefish trip through Orvis, so you can be confident about that combo.