The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree121Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 05:40 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone not use tippet? fly right to leader

Wow, this thread really caught me off guard. I am amazed at how many fly fishers do not use tippet….
I am hoping that some of you that have only previously used a standard leader and tied the fly directly to it to try adding tippet this coming season. The web offers much info on knots. Attaching tippet to a leader is an easy knot to learn. Above and beyond your leader lasting longer (saving money and keeping extra mono out of our waters), your presentation will be enhanced. Yes, when I first began fly fishing, I too started out by tying the fly to the leader…. Once I was informed of tippet and the benefits, I never again tied directly to a leader. Unless, maybe when I was chucking huge bass flys. Using the appropriate tippet for the fly you are throwing makes a substancial difference in the how fly is presented. If your chasing bass, maybe not a big deal. If you are chasing finicky tout, all the difference in the world. What do you have to loose, $5.00 on a spool of tippet and maybe 10 minutes learning a new knot. Give it a go this coming season, you will be surprised.
If you do not like knots, try tippet rings as mentioned. Much easier.
fly_guy12955 and mridenour like this.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 02-19-2014, 06:00 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I'll take your "used" 8' leaders for free! You don't have to throw all that mono away.

Seriously, you fish 60 days a year and don't want to tie a knot?
Old 02-19-2014, 06:05 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Holy bajeebers! 60 leaders a year!!!!!!!!!!!????????????? I haven't used 60 leaders in the last 15 years! I don't think Ive used 100 in the last 30. Well, I guess youre boosting the economy of tapered leaders
bigjim5589 and mridenour like this.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:07 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Sounds too fake. No one waste money like that,,do they ? That is going out of the way to make life harder.
miamimikepa likes this.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:09 PM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about

I started out by not using tippet, the leaders had a nice long gradual change in diameter and I tied flies directly onto it. Until I went fishing with some dry-flies it made a huge difference, and seeing a size 20 or 18 ant land perfectly and not disturb any water or spook the trout and actually catching them on a dry-fly was an amazing feeling. There was no way I could do this without tippet material as it often got too thick to even get it through the hook eye itself. There is a large benefit to using tippet, the only thing I do not like is the fact that there is another knot and usually knots are weak points as its not a 100% as strong as a continuous one
Old 02-19-2014, 06:09 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamimikepa View Post
Fred,

I've been considering trying out the tippet rings. What size do you suggest for 6x & 5X tapered leaders? When you put the leader on do you cut off the tippet section to add the ring or do you wait till you use it up? About how far down do you put the ring? Final question, do you think the rings affect the cast?
Fred doesn't know what anything under 1X looks like,
bigjim5589 and mridenour like this.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:14 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955
No one waste money like that,,do they ? .
Two words for ya... Abel nippers
Old 02-19-2014, 06:18 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
Two words for ya... Abel nippers

bwahahahahahahahaaa
Old 02-19-2014, 06:22 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

In heavily fished tailwaters, floro is a MUST!

Price some floro tapered leaders sometime- you won't want to go through 60 per year, guaranteed!

Mono tapered leader, short chunk o' floro tippet, top fly. The knot makes a handy brake for the split shot, too.

CAB
mridenour likes this.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:48 PM

rocketbomb is a jewel in the roughrocketbomb is a jewel in the roughrocketbomb is a jewel in the rough

Send me half of those 60 leaders a year and we'll both agree to tie some tippet on once in a while. Sounds like a fair deal, no?
bigjim5589 and fly_guy12955 like this.