The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 11:11 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: A knotty situation

While there is no one "correct" way to rig a rod and reel outfit, the methodology I employ evolved in the crucible of the salt flats to be flexible and as failure proof as knots tied by man can make it. It might be considered a little overkill for trout fishing but I don't believe so and set up a 4-weight system the same way as a 10-weight outfit.

I use a modified arbor knot to affix Micron backing to the spool. doubling the backing into a 3 foot length, I then tie a surgeons loop. at the tip of the loop I tie a second surgeons loop as tiny as possible. I run the long loop around the reel's arbor twice then, again using a surgeon knot rather than an overhand, encircle the standing portion of the doubled backing and snug it down. All this doubling and use of the surgeon rather than typical overhand knot make this attachment to the reel less likely to slip and stronger than the backing itself should a bad boy ever take you to being spooled.

Wind the backing under some pressure to be as tight and uniform as you can get it and, again doubling the backing to a 4 foot length, do a 48 turn Bimini Twist. Most fly line today come with a factory welded loop on both ends which is very slick and neat but, being a thermo chemical bond, is about 80% the strength of the fly line itself which is 20 to 30 pound test in most instances. I mechanically re-enforce this loop by wrapping a 12 to 15 turn nail knot of 20 lb. fluorocarbon tippet material over the doubled portion of the factory formed loop making it stronger than the line itself. Passing my Bimini through it and over its plastic spool, loop the fly line to the backing. Reeling the line onto the reel it should nearly but not quite fill the spool. There must be a little free space as when fighting fish you may not get your line back on as neatly as executed in your living room and you never want to jam a reel pillar with too much or uneven line! By loop-to-looping your line to the backing, it is simple to wind the line off the reel and back onto its plastic spool should you wish to mount a different line on the reel.

There are a variety of variables involved in attaching a leader to the line: Will you use prefabricated, extruded knotless leaders, hand built, furled or braided butts? Each has special requirements. One thing all have in common is they must be mass-matched to the fly line to assure effective transfer of energy from your cast to line to leader. This is easily tested by performing the "Parabolic Loop Test". Again, a re-enforced factory welded loop can be used to loop on a commercial, pre-perfection looped leader...I don't think too highly of most of these, your own hand-built leader which are always a good option, or a correctly line size matched furled or braided system which offer improved dry fly presentation performance. With the braid I prefer to sever the loops and do a "Chinese finger cuff, Zap-A-Gap splice". Loop forming alternatives are thoroughly dissected in a thread searchable in Tackle, Welded Loops in the appropriate section of this Forum.

The Parabolic Loop Test verifying optimal transfer of energy, in this case with a Cutthroat, line sized matched, Hybrid Furled Leader
Click the image to open in full size.

A perfection loop is plenty strong for the butt of a mono or fluoro leader being it is generally in the .024 - .021 diameter range. A popular alternative is to multi-turn nail knot a section of butt material to the fly line and tie a perfection loop in it. Build down using blood knots, the strongest, straightest and most elegant leader knot.

I like long tippets, 5' trout fishing and 3 to 4 feet in the salt. My favorite tippet to fly fixed knot is the Trileen Knot, similar but stronger than the clinch, it features passing the tippet through the hook eye twice so it is not merely stronger but it locks on the front of the hook eye maintaining proper attitude. For flies that will be stripped and paused, streamers, buggers and most all saltwater prey imitations, the Non-Slip Loop Knot is strong and affords more life-like freedom of movement as your fly wafts down on the pause...this often when the striped bass or bonefish eats.

There are a number of knots employed in rigging. Do not be intimidated by them they are all easy to learn and repeated use will make you a master. It is a traditional aspect of being an angler that you are skilled at knot tying. Today's internet videos and step-by-step animations make learning knots easier than ever and, with the exception of the Nail Knot which is best tied using a thin tube, all the other knots mentioned here are tied with the best knot tying device in existence...your hands.
siege and craigthor like this.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:51 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I usually follow the conventional wisdom:
1 Arbor knot
2 Backing to Line: Nail knot, but I honestly don't remember what I did on my last new set-up...probably spent some time with google and then decided.
3 Line to Leader: a) Lately I've used the welded loop on the fly line and tie a perfection onto the leader butt. b) I have nailed a section of Maxima to the fly line, then done loop to loop with two perfection loops.
4 Leader to Tippet: this is where I branch out! If using a ring, depending on the size of the material, I tie a Trilene (4x) or Orivs Knot (< 4X), or sometimes I'll put a loop knot in the tippet material with a surgeon's usually and then loop it to the ring. For in line knots I like the double surgeon for ease, the blood knot for unease but confidence, and Double Uni most of the time because it is easy and strong.
5 Tippet to Fly: Orvis knot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Like I said in my post, I use a Bimini Twist. But that knot would be overkill for most applications. A surgeons loop is fine
In winters past I've tried to learn this knot but never got far. I still want to just because! Seems like with enough time you could make a batch of tippets in a variety of sizes with this knot and have them ready to go, looped to a tippet ring.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:15 PM

rusty 54 will become famous soon enough

Pretty much what Eddie Oneal said, except I rarely improve my clinch knot
Old 02-21-2014, 12:28 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
In winters past I've tried to learn this knot but never got far. I still want to just because! Seems like with enough time you could make a batch of tippets in a variety of sizes with this knot and have them ready to go, looped to a tippet ring.
The Bimini Twist is actually much easier to tie than it looks.
After you've made the initial "twists", it literally ties itself. To witness this is alone worth the effort.
(You're not quite done at this point, you still have to "lock" it, but still...)

My fishing partner used to tie up tippets for the the salt with a Bimini loop and store them on a tippet spool. I'm not sure if he still does. That's more effort than necessary in my world.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:38 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

As I recall it was the "lock" that gave me problems. But my basement room was too dark and I probably had too many winter ales by that time. More effort than necessary for me too.