The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 08:48 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future
Default A knotty situation

A recent thread got me thinking about some of the basics that most of us take for granted.

A brand new fly fisherman may have gotten a new rod, reel, line and leader, but not have any idea how to put it all together.

What is your preferred set of knots for assembling a new combo ? Start out at the reel arbor, and work your way out to the fly.
craigthor likes this.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:03 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A knotty situation

Arbor Knot: Arbor Knot | How to tie the Arbor Knot | Fishing Knots

Perfection Loop: Perfection (Angler's) Loop | How to tie the Perfection Loop | Fishing Knots

Surgeon's Loop: Surgeon's Loop Knot | How to tie a Surgeon's Loop | Fishing Knots

Nail Knot: Nail Knot | How to tie the Nail Knot | Fishing Knots

Improved Clinch: Improved Clinch Knot | How to tie the Improved Clinch Knot | Fishing Knots

Davy Knot for the small flies.
christianfishn, plecain and siege like this.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:10 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Great post, so many options and confusing for beginners. Some rep coming your way.
So, my preference and keeping it simple.
1. Backing to spool, Arbor knot.
2. Backing to fly line, Albright knot.
3. Fly line to leader, loop to loop. I always use Roman Moser loops at the end of my fly line and I fish furled leaders.
4. Leader to tippet and droppers, always a three turn water knot.
5. Tippet to fly an improved clinch knot.

Be interesting to see others set ups.
rusty 54 and siege like this.

Last edited by Eddie O'Neill; 02-21-2014 at 06:24 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:04 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Basically same as Eddy O'Neil except I use a surgeons knot. I don't know if I've heard if a 3 turn water knot before.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 02-21-2014, 06:30 AM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnflyfish View Post
Basically same as Eddy O'Neil except I use a surgeons knot. I don't know if I've heard if a 3 turn water knot before.

Sent from my iPhone
Water knot is the same as a surgeons knot the terminology is used more in rope tying.
Depends where you grew up
Old 02-21-2014, 06:53 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

This web site has instructions on lots of knots:

Animated Knots by Grog | How to Tie Knots | Fishing, Boating, Climbing, Scouting, Search and Rescue, Household, Decorative, Rope Care,

You can get the smartphone app, too. The free one has most knots you'll need. The paid version ($4.99) has more. I use it all the time.

For the ultimate in knots get the book "The Ashley Book of Knots".

The Ashley Book of Knots: Clifford W. Ashley: 9780385040259: Amazon.com: Books The Ashley Book of Knots: Clifford W. Ashley: 9780385040259: Amazon.com: Books

It's a little expensive at around $60.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:46 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I cringe when some newbie on these pages declares that they avoid tying knots. Just like somebody did the other day.
Tying good knots is a basic skill of fly fishing and anyone can learn all that they need to know relaxing in their favorite chair with a spool of old mono.

I never liked the arbor knot for the backing to spool... I use a clinch
For the backing to line .... a Bimini twist to a double whipped loop
Line to leader....either a double whipped loop to a perfection or a nail knotted leader butt to a loop2loop
Leader to tippet..... a loop2loop also. A perfection loop on the leader side and non-slip loop or surgeon's loop on the tippet.
A perfection loop is not strong enough to use on the tippet side.!
Tippet to fly... either a regular clinch (3 1/2 to 7 turns) or a non-slip loop.

This is one of the knot books that I have and I recommend it to anyone that fishes.

Click the image to open in full size.
craigthor likes this.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:11 AM

horsehead will become famous soon enoughhorsehead will become famous soon enough

This is really helpful. I just spooled backing and line the other day and had no idea what knot to use to attach my line to my backing (loop on the line) so I went with what I do know (13 years in Boy Scouts), the bowline. I probably need to go back and change that...

So what knot should I use to put a loop in the backing to the loop to loop with the fly line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
siege likes this.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:14 AM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsehead View Post
This is really helpful. I just spooled backing and line the other day and had no idea what knot to use to attach my line to my backing (loop on the line) so I went with what I do know (13 years in Boy Scouts), the bowline. I probably need to go back and change that...

So what knot should I use to put a loop in the backing to the loop to loop with the fly line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just use a double surgeons knot and loop to loop them. No loop on the end I use a nail knot.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:37 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I like to have an attachment loop in my backing that large enough to pass a fly line spool through.
It makes it much easier to switch out lines that way.

Like I said in my post, I use a Bimini Twist. But that knot would be overkill for most applications. A surgeons loop is fine

http://www.animatedknots.com/surgeon...matedknots.com