The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 10:26 PM

goblueco1 will become famous soon enough
Default Pontoon

It has come to my attention that I am in need of a personal pontoon. I would really like something that is framed so that I am able to install a leaning bar and/or be able to stand. Moreover, I have a pretty bad lower back injury that haunts me from time-to-time so a comfortable and well supported seat is also important. After doing some research as well as utilizing the search tab on this forum it has come to my attention that I can spend $250-$2,000 on one of these which was a little shocking! Anyways, what would help me out the most would be personal experiences from owning or renting and fly fishing from one of these in a river and a lake.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 02-20-2014, 10:56 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pontoon

My sons and I all have 9' pontoon boats. We have not as yet taken them out on fast water, but they work great in the lakes. The firm plastic chair with a good built in seat cushion is comfortable all day. Ours are not stand up boats, but casting from a seated position is easy to get used to. Longer rods work best for this.They are relatively easy to row, but like you, I have some back issues. An electric trolling motor makes my life a lot easier.

Lots of pockets, an anchor (bag), a frame to hold the motor and deepcycle battery, a mesh stripping tray and a rod holder came standard.

Our lake water is cold year round, so we wear waders. A chest pack, or lanyard works well.

Where do you live,or plan to fish ? What kind of fish are you targeting ?
mcnerney and fly_guy12955 like this.

Last edited by siege; 02-20-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
My sons and I all have 9' pontoon boats. We have not as yet taken them out on fast water, but they work great in the lakes. The firm plastic chair with a good built in seat cushion is comfortable all day. Ours are not stand up boats, but casting from a seated position is easy to get used to. Longer rods work best for this.They are relatively easy to row, but like you, I have some back issues. An electric trolling motor makes my life a lot easier.

Lots of pockets, an anchor (bag), a frame to hold the motor and deepcycle battery, a mesh stripping tray and a rod holder came standard.

Our lake water is cold year round, so we wear waders. A chest pack, or lanyard works well.

Where do you live,or plan to fish ? What kind of fish are you targeting ?

Hi Siege, thanks for the reply. I live in Colorado and will mostly fish lakes with the pontoon but would like to be able to take it out on the Colorado, Gunnison and Gorge so need something that is stable as well as be able to handle class 2-3 rapids. Moreover, due to targeting some of the rivers I feel a casting/lean bar would come in handy for spotting fish.

What are your thoughts? Also, what brand are your nine footers?
Old 02-21-2014, 02:47 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

If you type "pontoon" in the search bar you'll have like 20 pages of threads to look thru. You might find what you need to know.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
If you type "pontoon" in the search bar you'll have like 20 pages of threads to look thru. You might find what you need to know.
You obviously didn't read my post as it CLEARLY states I already searched this topic within General Discussions and did not find my answer. If you have nothing to add to this discussion than move on.
rickf likes this.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:04 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Sorry...I missed it. Thanks for being understanding
BigJim2x and ia_trouter like this.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Sorry...I missed it. Thanks for being understanding
I apologize if I jumped on you a bit but a lot of other forums that are out there really jump on new/newer members for asking questions that have already been asked, re-posting something that was previously posted or not using the search function. Obviously, based upon my retort to your posting I have been a victim of this previously.

Once again, I apologize if your post wasn't intended to be snark..
ia_trouter likes this.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

The NFO Renegade is a 9' pontoon that weighs 28 lbs. Easy on the back right there. The seat is totally adjustable unlike the molded plastic seats. Adjust the air in the seat area, plus the side straps allow tilting the seat back if needed.
However if you are looking for a standing platform, the Outlaw X5 offers one of the largest platforms. It weighs 65 lbs and is 10'6" long.
I have broke my back 3 times so I understand the ache. On Stillwater however, I rarely stand, or should say, I stand less than I thought I would. BUT, I can if I want to, so that is a plus ;-)
goblueco1 and paulw2 like this.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:37 PM

paulw2 is on a distinguished road

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
just got this renegade yesterday ,I was looking at the rampage ,but I am very happy with this, size wise I too broke my back so weight was a factor for me ,haven't had it near water yet but I know this will work for me when I have no one else to fish with out the drift boat
Old 02-22-2014, 12:42 AM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

You really don't need to stand on a pontoon? And if you like to paddle ...... then get a kayak? or small canoe?

The ultimate float tube / pontoon hybrid is the Outlaw Escape IMHO. Exclusively made for Cabelas, only $700 (still a Dave Scadden, with the best valves and bladder-less) 600 lb capacity and only 24 lbs, with oars.

So easy to use. Just get some "flip fins" and carry the light 'toon any place you like. Plenty of storage. I put a fish finder on mine.