The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree110Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 10:10 AM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice
Default Help Me Support a Fellow Member

Hi All.

I'm sure many of you already know this, but for those who don't, we have a member here who has been running a fly tying class for children who have been stricken with cancer. This is such a wonderful thing for him to do, but what's even more amazing is that he himself has been waging an ongoing battle with it for several years. We could all learn a lesson from this man.

I thank God daily for my health and the health of my children. Even with good health though, the common childhood stuff still costs me a small fortune at the end of the year. This gentleman has been fighting cancer for many years now. Knowing what I know about medical costs, I'm betting his discretionary funds are a bit limited. Currently, he is selling flies to help cover the costs of his classes.

I want to support his efforts. I've already bought a couple boxes of flies, but I'd like to do more. If I were closer, I would offer to lend a hand in some small way but distance is against me. That being the case, I thought I would put together a box of tying materials and supplies as a way to support him and maybe help take a little pressure off of the budgeting end of it for him. It's not much, but it will maybe help a little.

If anyone would like to contribute to "the box", PM me for details. It will be sent from us as a group mid-March.

To be clear, this man has not asked for any help whatsoever. I was taught growing up that you should always offer support to a friend so that a request for help never needs to be made. I live by that rule and I want to show some support for his amazing efforts.

Thanks all.

-Jason

List of members who have offered to help send fly tying materials to Jerry and his kids:
Labguy
Mcnerney- RECEIVED Thank you.
Craigthor- RECEIVED Thank you.
Eddie O'Neill- RECEIVED Thank you.
Fly guy12955 RECEIVED Thank you.
FredEvans
Cowger10- RECEIVED Thank you.
Mridenour.........bought one of Jerry's fly boxes
Oarfish- RECEIVED Thank you.
stanbiker- RECEIVED Thank you.
kicker19- RECEIVED Thank you.
littledavid123
lancanadio- RECEIVED Thank you.
dean_mt
jgentile- RECEIVED Thank you.
Hardyreels
itchmesir- RECEIVED Thank you.
rangerrich99

If I did not list your name, please let me know. Everyone who has contributed to this great cause deserves a thank you.

Last edited by labradorguy; 03-20-2014 at 10:57 AM. Reason: additions
Old 02-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Me Support a Fellow Member

Labguy: Great idea, I'm in, thanks for thinking about one of our own.
I'll send you a pm.

Larry
fredaevans and labradorguy like this.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:08 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

PM'd also
mcnerney and labradorguy like this.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:57 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Fantastic gesture, count me in Will send a pm.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:53 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I'll PM' you,,I'm sure I can come up with something.

Mike
labradorguy likes this.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:24 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Bumping to top! Anyone else got some spare fly tying materials lying around that could be put to good use in fly tying classes for cancer kids?

Larry

Old 02-22-2014, 08:28 AM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice

Thanks for the help on this guys. There's a fine group of people who frequent this forum. A box of hooks or some hackle for children who are dealing with what they have been burdened with is not much, but like your Mom always said, "It's the thought that counts". I like that Jerry gives them something else to think about, even for a little while. We should all count our blessings. Thanks again.

-Jason
mridenour likes this.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:09 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Jason, PM sent.

Mike
labradorguy likes this.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:40 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Help Me Support a Fellow Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Labguy: Great idea, I'm in, thanks for thinking about one of our own.
I'll send you a pm.

Larry
I'm in, post up your full name/address (or via PM) so I can post off.

Fred
Old 02-22-2014, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Looks like we are getting some really good help for a great cause, anyone else want to help out by donating a few fly tying materials?

Larry
labradorguy likes this.