The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By pete a
  • 4 Post By bloomagoo
  • 1 Post By mt_flyfisher
  • 1 Post By ia_trouter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 02:50 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about
Default Fishwest "Trade Up" Program

Just finished practice casting a shiny new Sage One (the rod is a "rocket!") through Fishwest's using their Trade Up program.

The program worked flawlessly, Fishwest accepted my tackle, took great pics, listed it well on Ebay (also let me know that it was there), sold it on Ebay (for more than I expected) and easily let me apply to new tackle. They kept me informed every step of the way. They charge about same % Ebay cut as selling on your own.

Look honestly I was nervous as I'd never done this nor dealt with them before. So felt like a leap of faith. They were great.

I suggest if your looking at a new kit that rather than selling yourself contact them.

Pete A.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:53 PM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fishwest "Trade Up" Program

I don't know what rod you sold on Ebay but I probably bought it
Old 02-21-2014, 04:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Pete: Congrats, you're right the Sage One is a rocket launcher for sure. Now we want to see some fish pictures using the new rod!

Larry

Old 02-21-2014, 04:40 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Fishwest always seems to get a bad rap on these forums. Glad to read something positive for a change. Personally I've never used their trade up program before but have bought plenty from them with no issues
Old 02-21-2014, 05:19 PM

mt_flyfisher is on a distinguished road

I have no first hand knowledge of their trade up program, but I have used the trade in program at Anglers Habitat in Caldwell, ID on a couple occasions.

The difference in Anglers Habitat's program is they will quote you a trade in price (they gave me a price over the phone based on my description of the items I wanted to trade in), you send the items to them, and then you get a store credit for the full amount of the trade in that you can use to purchase anything that they sell.

The trade in price I got on a couple rods and reels, etc. was approximately the full retail price - no waiting for the item to sell on Ebay, and no fees to contend with.

I am expecting to receive a new Sage One rod from Anglers Habitat this coming Monday - a 9 1/2' 7wt - on their trade in program.
cletus likes this.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:13 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Run us through the approximate numbers. Say I have a $100 rod I want to trade up for a $300 rod. I pay to ship my rod to them, how's it work from there in dollars and cents.
repperson29 likes this.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:05 PM

repperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Run us through the approximate numbers. Say I have a $100 rod I want to trade up for a $300 rod. I pay to ship my rod to them, how's it work from there in dollars and cents.

I'd like to know also, having that knowledge would go a long way in me being more comfortable with it.

Ryan
Old 02-21-2014, 07:35 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

I've used the trade-up program at Anglers Habitat several times and it's been great, same experience as mt_flyfisher. Describe the gear to Wayne or staff over the phone, get a quote, send or drop your stuff off and get what you want with the store credit. I've sold rods on ebay but in the future I'll go with Anglers Habitat unless they don't carry what I'm looking for.

No knock on Fishwest here, I've bought from them (good shop), just haven't used their trade-up program.

Eric
Old 02-22-2014, 06:34 AM

mt_flyfisher is on a distinguished road

Here is the link to Anglers Habitat's trade in program:

Angler's Habitat Used Fly Fishing Gear Trade Up Program

John
Old 02-22-2014, 06:46 AM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough

I have not engaged with Fishwest but I do a lot of lurking on Ebay and have even purchased a used rod from Angler's Habitat. Everything they (Angler's Habitat) list is mid to high end, generally less than 7-10 years old, and in 9+ condition. Because of that, bids tend to run on the higher side for their items.