The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 03:43 PM

goblueco1 will become famous soon enough
Default Wet Wading

Now that I am buying a pontoon of some sort and my back is getting better day by day I will also we floating on my uncles drift boat quite a but this spring and summer as well which bring me to my question. Wet wading is something that I would like to get into as it is much more comfortable to be on a boat while wet wading than it is in wader and boots. Here is my main concern though, chaffing of the boys down south or that general area and I am wondering is there is something to wear underneath of the board shorts, swim suit or shorts that will assist in this sensitive area? Or, am I completely over thinking this and there is not a need for anything additional?

Thanks again for your help in advance.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:48 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wet Wading

A good horse liniment for the crotch area will work. Scuff the pores up some before you apply it so it will work beneath the skin.

You may feel a wee discomfort,,but that will pass....and you will pass,,,cars on the interstate by foot even !!! LOL
goblueco1 likes this.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:58 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Nylon underwear and nylon, quick-drying, pants (or shorts).

Believe it or not, they make "men's" nylon underwear with no opening in them.
fyshstykr and cowger10 like this.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:07 PM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough

Underarmor makes them. I use them in my kayak 'cuz cotton just ain't no fun when it's wet.
fyshstykr likes this.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:51 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post

Ditto, but I use silk. Tad more expensive (you get them at good travel shoppes) and they work a total treat. Also have a couple of sets of socks that I use for the same purpose. Things mold to your body like paint.
fyshstykr likes this.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:34 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Almost any synthetic will work. Avoid cotton, as it would take too long to dry. Some guys wear long-ish board shorts, and go commando style. I prefer a little support, but there are those who let it all hang out Stores that specialize in running and biking apparell will have some options for you.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:46 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

The nylon undies is a good suggestion. The board shorts that have the mesh support might help you too. Two suggestions I will add tho is, forgo the shorts and wear the quick dry nylon pants. They will protect you from insects, scratches, nettles, sunburn, etc...

Carry a tube of hydrocortisone. It can provide surprising instant relief from chaffing in the "nether regions" as well as insect irritations or strange rashes that sometimes occur during wet wading. Its kind of a miracle rash relief ointment. I don't think Ive ever gotten the dreaded rash in fresh water, but salt water, now that's a horse of a different color
dean_mt and goblueco1 like this.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:47 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Cuz I'm freeeeee.... Freeee ballin'
Old 02-23-2014, 09:23 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with jbird. I never wear shorts for fishing, aside from protection from all the scratchy allergens and irritants on the hot summer days damp pants keep you nice and cool. Also sitting in a boat for hours is a great way to burn the ba-geez out of the top of your thighs.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:51 PM

cowger10 will become famous soon enoughcowger10 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post

I agree this will make your life so much more comfortable.