How Wolfs Have Changed Yellowstone NP

rickf

Reaction score
Thanks, Larry, a wonderful film!

The less we mess with nature, the better our world is?

gt05254

Reaction score
That film certainly has some nice footage. However, the reason(s) willows are taller in YNP in parts of the park these days may not be as simple as is portrayed in it. Trophic cascading is but one neat, tidy explanation for taller willows; there are others. Not all researchers actively involved in studies along those lines in the Park agree that it is the reason.

If you do an internet search along the lines of "trophic cascade Yellowstone", you can spend days reading about it.

Gary

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Gary: You are probably correct, nothing is ever as simple as it is sometimes portrayed, still an interesting video.

Larry

dakotakid

Reaction score
Not sure I believe all their claims, but if even half are remotely true, it's a pretty impressive improvement. Interesting video!

shortyb

Reaction score
Great footage, I kept saying "those are elk, not deer" when he would mention deer but show film of elk lol.

I actually met some people last summer that were learning about wolf reintroduction. It's always a debate what the impact is, none the less it is good to see them back in the parks. Out of the parks how ever ranchers would tell you how bad they have gotten.

B

gfirob

Reaction score
This is a lovely little film, but it is entirely a piece of propaganda. I happen to agree with its political point of view, but its use of very evocative and beautiful imagery (breathtaking scenic, adorable baby animals and so on), a breathless, intensely sincere British narrator (who sounds as if he is giving a speech), sincere music, and a very simple and linear connect-the-dots structure with the awe-struck conclusion and pay-off that it is the river itself that changes, all add up to a big sales pitch, an advocacy piece. Nice one, but it is hardly natural history or science.

Nature is very complicated, and meddling with it (whether killing the wolves or bringing them back or building a dam or tearing it out) almost always has unintended consequences that may not show up for centuries. Protecting and understanding our rivers and our natural environment is very important, but I am always uncomfortable with this kind of skillful and manipulative production. I’m afraid they appeal to the emotional and not to the thoughtful reflection that the subject deserves.

stenacron

Reaction score
Nice video, but I'm "pro" apex predator (everywhere, not just in YNP). I can see gfirob's point and I'm sure the anti-wolf crowd would have issues with this video.

Some of the claims about barren slopes stabilizing are certainly true, but I can't help but think that has been an on-going, natural process since those devastating wildfires of 1988.

Riparian habitat returning as the wolves keep the elk herd on the move all makes sense. I guess I'm a little surprised that it can happen in less than twenty (20) years since re-introduction has taken place.

My family and I visited Hardware Ranch here in Utah over Christmas to view the wintering elk... talk about a herd that can use a few apex predators to thin out the weak and the old.

chechem

Reaction score
Thanks. I enjoyed the video.

But the wolf populations are continuing to increase in YNP.
If they overpopulate, then what? I wonder what limiting factors maintain wolf populations.

Very interesting.

stenacron

Reaction score
Is the reason known?
Yes, and it's not a huge number by national standards (~18-20 animals). Most were shot (legally) outside of the park, a couple were poached, and some road-killed. Last estimate I saw was nine (9) packs inside the park totaling about seventy-eight (78) wolves. The early management plan back in the '90's estimated that the park could sustain ten (10) packs, so this is not too alarming.

My daughter and I were fortunate enough to have a close encounter back in 2012 just after a hike near Hayden Valley... while this young male focused on me, my daughter snapped this shot.

chechem

Reaction score
Yes, and it's not a huge number by national standards (~18-20 animals). Most were shot (legally) outside of the park, a couple were poached, and some road-killed. Last estimate I saw was nine (9) packs inside the park totaling about seventy-eight (78) wolves. The early management plan back in the '90's estimated that the park could sustain ten (10) packs, so this is not too alarming.

My daughter and I were fortunate enough to have a close encounter back in 2012 just after a hike near Hayden Valley... while this young male focused on me, my daughter snapped this shot.
Nice photo. Thanks.

"Woof"