The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 11:13 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Will textured fly line hurt your guides?

Some say yes, some say no. The jury is still out on the debate if it is the texture of the line or dirt that gets stuck in them. I know that textured lines like Shark Skin hurt my fingers and ears after a long days use.

-Chase
Old 03-01-2014, 11:17 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtone1411 View Post
Itch, I believe Orvis will replace your guides. For a fee of course. There is a guy that runs there rod repair shop named Jim West. He is a great guy.
I'm lost... Why would they replace my guides? The rod is not made by Orvis.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:22 PM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

They run a for profit rod repair shop in Manchester. They do all kinds of custom work and rod repair. Orvis always gets a bad rep for selling dog beds and ladies clothing, but they are the real deal. Like I said, they will do anything you want to your rod but they will charge you and make a profit from it.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:28 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of

I bought a used reel from a guy here on the forum, and it has wear like that, grooved right into the aluminum of the frame. I had wondered how that might have happened. Could be dirty or textured line......???
Old 03-01-2014, 11:31 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Dirty lines can certainly wear a groove into a reel. If it was a vintage reel, I would bet it was a silk line that did the damage.
itchmesir likes this.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:43 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I have an old JW Young Condex that shows some good wear from a silk line

@bigtone... Rod is covered by lifetime warranty... I'll continue to fish it until the guides wear completely out or it breaks... No need to pay another shop to fix it
Old 03-01-2014, 11:48 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

opps, assumed it was an orvis rod. Either way the point stands. Whether or not Reddington replaces guides on their rods anyone who runs a rod building business ought to be able to do it. If the guides are in the same spots etc it shouldn't impact how the rod casts. Could have the person match the color or take the opportunity to personalize it.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:55 PM

swidaho is on a distinguished road

With the rods I have seen in my rod builders shop having guides redone, I think I'll stay away from the textured line. Maybe it is I'm cheap, why tear up guides and then have to pay to rebuild a rod.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:00 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swidaho View Post
With the rods I have seen in my rod builders shop having guides redone, I think I'll stay away from the textured line. Maybe it is I'm cheap, why tear up guides and then have to pay to rebuild a rod.
As he said in the original post, he really likes how it casts on the rod. He just has to figure out if that is worth possibly paying to replace guides. Wouldn't be my first choice but if a line was really great on a rod, who knows.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:56 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

I have had the SA Textured on a very well-used 4wt rod for about 3 years. Took the time to go look at it tonight and I cannot see any guide wear at all - perhaps it is the SA-SS only?

I agree with Chase - The SA-SS noise bothers my ears and after a long day also hurts my fingers. The SA-Textured is much easier on both ears and fingers!