The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 02:47 AM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Will textured fly line hurt your guides?

I use a couple SA Textured lines, Trout Stalker in particular. Not near as aggressive texture.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:01 AM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

I have heard several situations now where Sharkskin has caused wear on guides, but no confirmation that the newer less aggressive textured lines have yet. If somebody has had their guides worn from Orvis, SA or any other textured line I would like to hear it. I know I would not want to have my rod re wrapped every couple years. I would just find a new line. I have been fly fishing for 20 years and have never had any guides wear out. Of course I have bought at least 20 rods in those 20 years.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:06 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

I believe it's the dirt that in beds itself in the line. The same happens when you use a fiberglass or aluminum cleaning rod on a precision shooting rifle or handgun. It's hard to get the dirt off of those two products and over time, it mars the inside of the barrel. Stainless rods clean off and don't carry the grime if you clean them.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:09 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

What is the hardest material currently available that is used to make guides?
Old 03-02-2014, 12:31 PM

just4grins is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Will textured fly line hurt your guides?

As for the toughest guides, probably titanium. As to textured lines like sharkskin, it's one more gimmick to drive sales. Lines today are very complex, but the high end lines all do a pretty good job. The combination of core materials, taper, coatings is dizzying. The trick, likes rods, they all cast a little diferently for each one of us except for the most talented casters. Find a line that casts consistently for you, feels good, turns over well for your rod, generates sufficient speed, and enjoy yourself. There is reason softer rods, and beautiful loops are making a comeback...it's putting the word relaxing back into our vocabulary. Save the guides, the metal ones. Slow down it's not a race.
fyshstykr and itchmesir like this.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:35 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

That's some pretty awful wear on your guides! I would think if you put a standard PVC coated line on that rod and fished it for a couple weeks, it would destroy the line. I would be contacting the fly line manufacturer with those pictures and see if there's any recourse. A line should not destroy a rod!
Old 03-02-2014, 01:56 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

It also depends on the quality of the metal used in the guides. The Fuji's are some of the best guides you can put on a rod. They are hard and the line wont wear on them.

There's a stretch of water here my buddy and I we fish, that the water has a huge amount of silt floating about in it. Its coats line and the longer you spend fishing in the water, the louder and louder your casts get. We have to clean the lines after each trip and you wouldn't believe how much nonsense comes off them. The first rod he built he needed to replace the guides on it since the silt from the water running across wore about half way thru them within months.

Here is a picture from his Sage RPL after 2 months of fishing with it

Click the image to open in full size.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-02-2014, 02:33 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I can show pictures of the guides on my rods. From the cheap W.W. Griggs, to the Greys. Been using SS on these rods for well over three years. Some cases, every day for weeks. I got cuts in my fingers using it 7 hours a day for seven days in a row. But I also got cuts from WET sinking line...WET LINE can do this.
They show no grooves, not cuts, no loss of chrome or coating. Been using SS for over 5 years now, you all know that. Guides are fine.
Your experience may differ. But I do fish a lot and use SS a lot.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:35 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

As mentioned before, older bamboo rod, older reels, will show bad guide wear because of silk lines.
What was the old rod guides made from. Every time I've seen wear and grooves
on guides, they have been cheap guides. Hardened chrome guides were hardened for a reason. And not all guides are created equal.
Everyone seems to think with the name Sharkskin, it's like a 90' long bandsaw.
What is the reason for the extra distance when throwing a Sharkskin line?
Because unlike a regular line, the complete line is not touching the guides.
I'm going to be in the camp of dirty lines and my camp of cheap guides.
I've yet to see pvc wear out hardened chrome guides.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtone1411 View Post
Itchmesir,

Over what time frame of using the Sharkskin do think that happened. Months or years. I'm also curious to hear Joni chime in. I've heard her swear by the Sharkskin and I know she fishes a lot. Also, I'm curious if the textured is any better than the Sharkskin. I know SA makes the Orvis textured for them. It looks like SA is doing away with Sharkskin. I wonder if this is why?
Is SA doing away with Sharkskin? Still going strong on their web site.
Yes I swear by it and no it is not a gimmick. It is a noticeable difference.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
I bought a used reel from a guy here on the forum, and it has wear like that, grooved right into the aluminum of the frame. I had wondered how that might have happened. Could be dirty or textured line......???
My guess on this reel would be backing. Gel Spun will cut metal.