The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 05:05 PM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Will textured fly line hurt your guides?

Sorry Joni,

I saw some closed out and thought they were discontinuing it in favor of the new textured. I have been following your advice for years on different forums and I know you fish a ton. If you say it doesn't cut or wear guides, then I know that is true. Thank you for answering my question.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:42 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Is SA doing away with Sharkskin? Still going strong on their web site.
Yes I swear by it and no it is not a gimmick. It is a noticeable difference.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

My guess on this reel would be backing. Gel Spun will cut metal.
No. I don't believe ss is a gimmick... But neither is the damage to the guides on my rod.

SS ultimate trout is the only line that's been used on that rod.

The truth is in the pictures. Gladly send you the rod to inspect since you're finding it hard to swallow. Feel free to fix the guides while you're at it though
Old 03-02-2014, 06:00 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
No. I don't believe ss is a gimmick... But neither is the damage to the guides on my rod.

The truth is in the pictures. Gladly send you the rod to inspect since you're finding it hard to swallow. Feel free to fix the guides while you're at it though
What is the rod you had the problem with. You mentioned Redington. What model is it?
Old 03-02-2014, 06:01 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Not finding it hard to swallow at all. I clearly said, your experiences may differ. I simply do not share your problems, that's all. You did have me out there with a magnifying glass though ;-)
I will trade you my Gold for your Sharkskin though.... :-)
Old 03-02-2014, 06:06 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Not finding it hard to swallow at all. I clearly said, your experiences may differ. I simply do not share your problems, that's all. You did have me out there with a magnifying glass though ;-)
I will trade you my Gold for your Sharkskin though.... :-)
I'd take you up on the offer if late last year my spool on my condex hadn't fallen off and in the process of trying to get it back on put a little gash in the line.

Honestly it was one of the best lines I've cast... Finger burn no different like you said compared to wet line being ripped from your hand... But the wear and tear on the guides really is a bummer...

Not willing to take the risk again... I'm just a poor ol fly guy with a bad addiction
Old 03-02-2014, 06:08 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Spokane Daily Chronicle - Google News Archive Search

This should clear it all up.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
What is the rod you had the problem with. You mentioned Redington. What model is it?
CT... I'd imagine the guides are no cheaper than what's on Joni's Griggs... If that's what you're getting at.

Maybe it'll have an epic battle with a car door sooner than later so it'll be back in time for more fishable weather
jbird likes this.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
CT... I'd imagine the guides are no cheaper than what's on Joni's Griggs... If that's what you're getting at.

Maybe it'll have an epic battle with a car door sooner than later so it'll be back in time for more fishable weather
I still think the main culprit is a dirty line. If you really like the rod, you might want to cut the guides off and get some Snake Brand guides. Pretty easy job. And the guides aren't that much.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:58 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'd take you up on the offer if late last year my spool on my condex hadn't fallen off and in the process of trying to get it back on put a little gash in the line.

Honestly it was one of the best lines I've cast... Finger burn no different like you said compared to wet line being ripped from your hand... But the wear and tear on the guides really is a bummer...

Not willing to take the risk again... I'm just a poor ol fly guy with a bad addiction
If you still have it and it is a 5wt, will still trade. I can splice the line.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:01 PM

It's a 3wt line.

@mojo... Just don't have it in me right now to learn the finer points of replacing my own guides... Maybe next winter... I have another 3wt I got this winter that'll need some time on the water anyways... The CT can take some time off
mojo likes this.