The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 09:01 PM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough
Default Will textured fly line hurt your guides?

Hey everyone, I tried out an Orvis textured fly line on my Far and Fine today and I really like the way it casts on this rod. I have heard some claim that these lines can wear out your guides quicker. Is there any truth to this? I would hate to hurt one of my favorite rods. Just curious if somebody has a definitive answer to this. Thanks.

Tony
Old 03-01-2014, 09:18 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Will textured fly line hurt your guides?

There's people here who swear up and down textured lines don't hurt your guides... Now that I have a camera with good macro it's time for me to show them how wrong they are.... I don't know about Orvis but I know SA SS will do this to your guides...

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:34 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

My theory is that it's not so much the line itself that causes the wear. Instead, I believe that the additional dirt that textured lines tend to hold on to is what causes the additional wear.

Just a theory based on absolutely no scientific data.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:37 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

I would have thought it would take about 100 years to do that much damage Itch. Those guides are trashed.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:40 PM

Itchmesir,

Over what time frame of using the Sharkskin do think that happened. Months or years. I'm also curious to hear Joni chime in. I've heard her swear by the Sharkskin and I know she fishes a lot. Also, I'm curious if the textured is any better than the Sharkskin. I know SA makes the Orvis textured for them. It looks like SA is doing away with Sharkskin. I wonder if this is why?
Old 03-01-2014, 10:04 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

It's over the course of no more than 2 years... And it's not like this is my only rod... 3wt rod with SS ultimate trout wf3f... Though it is the only rod that uses ss... I'd have never bought any but at $25 it was a steal of a deal
Old 03-01-2014, 10:24 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Something to keep in mind: guides can be replaced. If you love the way the line casts on the rod, just give Orvis a call and ask how much they charge to replace the guides, or check with a local rod builder. Matching thread would be the toughest part. Depending on the frequency and price it could be worth it.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:27 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Haven't heard of guide damage with any textured line other than Sharkskin. Sharkskin is the most abrasive -- you can feel it with your fingers. It feels like fine sandpaper.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Something to keep in mind: guides can be replaced. If you love the way the line casts on the rod, just give Orvis a call and ask how much they charge to replace the guides, or check with a local rod builder. Matching thread would be the toughest part. Depending on the frequency and price it could be worth it.
Don't think Orvis will replace my redington's guides
Old 03-01-2014, 11:01 PM

Itch, I believe Orvis will replace your guides. For a fee of course. There is a guy that runs there rod repair shop named Jim West. He is a great guy.