The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 08:52 AM
mridenour

Default Re: Bennett Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
Wow! I guess heavy line and Trout Dough PowerBait?

Just use that long handled net and scoop the trout?

I guess there is no reason to "match the hatch"? ..... and you probably don't have to use a furled leader?
Heavy line might catch the ones that just made it into the stream but most of the fish you see are pretty well-educated and heavy line is not going to work very well. I'd like to see dough bait outlawed but at least it is only allowed in certain areas of the stream and keep in mind that after the morning rush, most of the bait-fishermen are back in the campground and out of the stream.

Even if it is pretty busy in the park, there is plenty of clear water to fish by 9 or 10 am.

If you get up early and head outside the parks you can find the best water with the best fish and more browns.

Honestly, the trout out west are easier to catch than trout park fish once the day's stockers get yanked out.
markfrid likes this.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:32 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

That might be the only access to trout fishing for some. I went to Roaring river on a slow day and have never been back. Not for me.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:40 PM

stonum is on a distinguished road

I'm getting ready for em' tomorrow at the Bennett Spring. Thats 3.7 lb. Seaguar GrandMax fluorocarbon tippet on my rig.... [IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
mridenour likes this.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:42 PM
mridenour

I'm heading to the Current this Sunday and probably next Sunday too.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonum View Post
I'm getting ready for em' tomorrow at the Bennett Spring. Thats 3.7 lb. Seaguar GrandMax fluorocarbon tippet on my rig.... [IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Is that a chartreuse wooly?
Old 03-03-2014, 04:30 PM

stonum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
I'm heading to the Current this Sunday and probably next Sunday too.

Is that a chartreuse wooly?
Yep, it's my favorite lure, always seems to work. Have fun at the Current.
mridenour likes this.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:06 PM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
I guess there is no reason to "match the hatch"? ..... and you probably don't have to use a furled leader?
In early summer, you want 5x maximum, by end of July, early August 5x is too much (I use 7x, though some get by with 6x).

For Bennett, cracklebacks stripped on sinking lines are very good. Many serious fisherman all go with that. They use vanish flourocarbon. 4lb for tippet.

Bennett has decent dry fly action--some caddis, but there is a consistent cream midge hatch in the evenings. #20 or #22 normally does it.

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

These posts are making me think that there's a core group here who could really enjoy a BSSP fishing get together. Something about as formal as "meet me at the hatchery outlet at the morning whistle" or even "meet me at Ollies's BBQ at the evening whistle" would be just fine.

Not sure what my summer will be, but am thinking....
stl_geoff and mridenour like this.