The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 10:55 AM

eddie789 has a spectacular aura abouteddie789 has a spectacular aura abouteddie789 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: First flyfishing trip. Lessons Learned.

Great to hear you made it out! I'm stuck in snow right now! The part about the hook made me chuckle!
Its always good to learn from your mistakes. Helps with the learning curve later on. I too am new to this and its been getting better and better as time progresses.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:18 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Nice report. It seems to me that when we realize a mistake, it makes us want to go back and try to get past it. Fly fishing can be more addictive than a favorite video game. No matter how experienced you get , you are always trying to get to the next level.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:07 PM

lurker66 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
Nice report. It seems to me that when we realize a mistake, it makes us want to go back and try to get past it. Fly fishing can be more addictive than a favorite video game. No matter how experienced you get , you are always trying to get to the next level.
Boy this is so true. I wanna "do over" so bad. I cant wait to get back out there. If the roads weren't icey I'd make the drive today.

I also am fighting the urge to buy a net, camara, furled leaders, more wool socks, neoprene gloves, more flys esp. Olive midges and scuds, creel, sunflower seeds, and another fly rod......I am going nuts lol.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:18 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker66 View Post
Boy this is so true. I wanna "do over" so bad. I cant wait to get back out there. If the roads weren't icey I'd make the drive today.

I also am fighting the urge to buy a net, camara, furled leaders, more wool socks, neoprene gloves, more flys esp. Olive midges and scuds, creel, sunflower seeds, and another fly rod......I am going nuts lol.
and so another addict is born..... to the frenzy! I too went thru the same thing after my first couple outings. ive calmed down a bit.......
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:37 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Quote:

Lurker - great post - laughed out loud at your hook/hooked comments (brought back some memories from many years ago). You caught fish, had a blast and learned a lot - sounds like the definition of a successful trip

My take on your "urge to buy" comments:
net - yes, definitely
camera - when you can afford a good waterproof one, until then it is a luxury
furled leaders - yes
wool socks - YES, recommend Marino wool if possible (try Cabelas deluxe cold weather hunting socks or deluxe cold weather wading socks)
neoprene gloves - yes, but you will use them less than you think (see Simms)
more flys - ALWAYS!! definitely the olive midges!
new rod - with a 3wt & 5wt you can fish most trout waters, it can wait a bit
wind knots - you might want to buy a couple of the Rocky Mountain T-PIKs (cost about $2.75 each, you can get them on ebay or at "t4products") they helped me undo a lot of wind knots until I got better at casting

Final comment - welcome to flyfishing; you will be addicted for the rest of your life!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:49 PM

pm287 is on a distinguished road

I have never read a thread from beginning to end, this one Idid and loved it!!!!!

Old 03-02-2014, 06:42 PM

okbow68 has a spectacular aura aboutokbow68 has a spectacular aura about

We were there Friday, Saturday, and this morning. They did not follow the schedule Saturday that's for sure. We had a great time everybody caught fish. I am now calling this the polar vortex lower illinois river trip after waking up to 15 degrees this morning. We were in shirt sleeves fishing Saturday.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:03 PM

flycaster1977 is on a distinguished road

Congrats. I had to laugh a little too. Ive been exactly where you are. Keep at it and things will get easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2014, 09:04 PM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

Quote:
I wanna "do over" so bad. I cant wait to get back out there. If the roads weren't icey I'd make the drive today. I also am fighting the urge to buy a net, camara, furled leaders, more wool socks, neoprene gloves, more flys esp. Olive midges and scuds, creel, sunflower seeds, and another fly rod......I am going nuts lol.
Yep. A clear case. Definite addiction.

There's no known cure, but that's ok. We don't want one.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:08 AM

coloradowalt is on a distinguished road

Great story. My biggest lesson to date is one I have to continue to remind myself >>> It will take less time if you take the time to do it. I have to remind myself this whenever the fish are rising and refusing my offering. I get into a rush to change the fly and invariably lose a fly or two into the water. Or when I am trying to fix a wind knot, or when...... You get the idea.