The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 11:40 AM

rallenm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First flyfishing trip. Lessons Learned.

Great post. As a novice fly fisherman myself, it's great to hear about the lessons being learned from your perspective. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2014, 12:16 PM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough

I really enjoyed this read, as I'm a bit of a rookie too, and can totally relate.

Had me smiling all the way.

About getting hooked in the lip........ it could have been an eye..... just a reminder to always wear glasses.

Joe
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:32 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

This thread reminds me of something I learned last summer on my first drift boat trip.

Do NOT assume that huge pull on your line is a snag. Giving a big jerk on the line to snap the fly off as you move into faster water may be followed by a giant brown trout's head coming out of the water and laughing at you for a second before leaving you disgusted and hurt under a hot Wyoming sun.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
This thread reminds me of something I learned last summer on my first drift boat trip.

Do NOT assume that huge pull on your line is a snag. Giving a big jerk on the line to snap the fly off as you move into faster water may be followed by a giant brown trout's head coming out of the water and laughing at you for a second before leaving you disgusted and hurt under a hot Wyoming sun.
Mike: I remember that big Brown coming up top like it happened yesterday! If it helps the pain any, I have had too many encounters just like that myself, and it always hurts when the big fish wins!

Larry
mridenour likes this.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:48 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Mike: I remember that big Brown coming up top like it happened yesterday! If it helps the pain any, I have had too many encounters just like that myself, and it always hurts when the big fish wins!

Larry
At least I got to see that big head on that Leroy! I had a couple on last fall that never came up before they managed to get off and they were heavy!
mcnerney likes this.