The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By twfitw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 09:12 AM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough
Default Have Faith - It's Coming Soon!

This one I dedicate to all North American Anglers...

Nick
mcnerney and Mnflyfish like this.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:35 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have Faith - It's Coming Soon!

Nick: Very cool video, those opening scenes with all the snow looked just like Wyoming does right now, can't wait for summer to get here. At the 1:58 point in the video it looked like he caught a Burbot. I've never caught one, but was watching the Utah news last week and Game and Fish sponsors a Burbot fishing derby at night and they use bait to catch them. First prize is $10,000, they are trying to generate interest on Flaming Gorge reservoir in fishing for and keeping Burbot as they prey on the trout population.

Larry

Old 03-02-2014, 10:43 AM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Nick: Very cool video, those opening scenes with all the snow looked just like Wyoming does right now, can't wait for summer to get here. At the 1:58 point in the video it looked like he caught a Burbot. I've never caught one, but was watching the Utah news last week and Game and Fish sponsors a Burbot fishing derby at night and they use bait to catch them. First prize is $10,000, they are trying to generate interest on Flaming Gorge reservoir in fishing for and keeping Burbot as they prey on the trout population.

Larry
Thanks Larry... yeah that is a burbot, it was quite unusual to catch it mid-summer mid-day, now is the time to target them, especially through the ice as they prepare for the spawn... I have not tried them yet, but I believe that they are excellent table-fare. We have good populations of them here in certain locations, and especially in the river where this one was caught, but I believe the populations in certain lakes were decimated years ago when people thought of them as trash fish. Certainly if you want to get rid of a population for the sake of another species, the spring spawn is the time to do it because they will feed voraciously and attack anything that comes close to them... They also concentrate together, so if you know where they are, they will smash a fly...

Nick
Old 03-02-2014, 11:56 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by twfitw View Post
yeah that is a burbot
I'm glad you said that. For a minute, I thought you were releasing a snakehead back into the water.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men View Post
I'm glad you said that. For a minute, I thought you were releasing a snakehead back into the water.
Haha... yeah, no snakehead in the waters here! Burbot aka ling cod aka dogfish are actually pretty cool... I was really excited to get that footage as that was the first one I had seen close up...

Click the image to open in full size.